Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

disconnects on home network... need brainstorming help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccrb

IS-IT--Management
Oct 5, 2003
US
I have a half dozen PCs connected to Dlink DSS8+ switch and a Dlink DI804 router, to a cable modem, Brighthouse roadrunner Internet.

My primary computer that I use for email and most surfing and ftping, has had problems with frequent disconnects/reconnects. This manifests itself in ftp (interuption, cancel) and in Mirc. It's less obvious in IE because IE retries or just appears to hang and works fine with a refresh.

The NIC is a DLink run of the mill NIC. The computer is an AMD Athlon, Asus Mother Board, running Win2000 Pro. For e-mail I use Eudora paid version 4.3. I installed IIS, but usually have it shut down. All system patches are up to date.

I have replaced the NIC, the computer and the OS. This was a clean install of W2000, not an upgrade.

Other computers on the LAN do not have this interrupt problem... meaning ... if i have a large file or a large number of files to ftp, I'd be smart to use a nearby computer instead of the problem one.

I've been through testing with Dlink. They were no help.

the disconnect/reconnect is so fast, it doesn't appear to be detectable with a looping ping. I can't say for sure if I'm disconnecting only from the Internet or also from the LAN.

I mentioned Eudora because it also times out a lot on its connections.

I was running zonealarm free, but removing it didn't solve the issue. Running with Eudora off still sees some occurances, although fewer and less often. I'm wondering if it's load related.

Any ideas?

Most motherboards IRQ for PCI have only for. Check your motherboard manaul and see if the nic is sharing with something that doesnt like sharing.

AGP IRQa
slot 6 IRQa
slot 5 IRQb
slot 4 IRQb
slot 3 irqa
slot 2 irqc
slot 1 irqd
usb irqd

Or something like that. there is a chart in most books that will show you what will take what when a card is in that slot or not.

Otherwise..D-Link is not my fav brand. had a 5 port switch and I had to reboot it once a week. Had a gigbit d-link and it fired one of my tv turner cards. Had a dwf-500 10/100 and it stops working from time to time. Works ok in linux but wacks out in windows.

Check cable..is it loose?

Solved.

I replaced my router for another reason and the problem disappeared.

This problem only affected one PC, and it followed the PC from port to port. Go figure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back