Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disconnecting dBase indexes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phydos

Programmer
Oct 5, 2002
GB
I currently link to dBase (the dos version) tables using MS-Access, however, I need to disconnect the dBase indexes before doing this (using dBStructure as I don’t have a licensed copy of dBase). Is there a way to remove the index and disconnect them using either VBA or Access (or any other method - maybe some compiled exe available somewhere)?

Thank you,
Phydos music & media
phydos-music.gif

set the mdxbyte to 00h, how many cross postings are there? Christopher F. Neumann
[dBASE Charter Member]
Blue Star Visual dBASE graduate
ICCP certified TCP/IP Network Analyst

One in dBase, and one in visual dbase (hoping that there would be some pre-compiled exe to do the job of detaching the indexes), and one in Access forum (maybe someone has had the same problem in the past).

Thanks for your reply in each – I’m looking into it now, but not exactly sure what you mean – haven’t used dBase for about 8 years.

Phydos

In dBase this resets the index flag:

nhandle = new file()
nhandle.open(mydbf,"rw")
nhandle.seek(28)
nhandle.write(chr(0))
nhandle.close()

Notice that the 28th byte is set to 0. It is 1 when there is an index. Christopher F. Neumann
[dBASE Charter Member]

You have a CDX index, this is a NOT dBase table/index!! Christopher F. Neumann
[dBASE Charter Member]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back