Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disconnected from Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

royhouser

Programmer
May 15, 2002
US
have a PC, running Windows XP, in my office that gets disconnected from the network almost daily. I've disabled the power settings ("Allow to shut off to save power"), couldn't find anything in his profile on the server that would cause, and even replaced his nic. What am I missing? Has anyone ever came across this? Is there another setting on his machine or profile that I should check?

I figure if anyone can figure this out, it's the people here. Thanks a ton for any feedback!

I just finally got a chance to check the event logs. Here's what I found:

"No Domain Controller is available for domain DOMAINNAME due to the following:
There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request. .
Make sure that the computer is connected to the network and try again. If the problem persists, please contact your domain administrator.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
***EVENT 2
w32time warning-(EventID 14)
"The time provider NtpClient was unable to find a domain controller to use as a time source. NtpClient will try again in 30 minutes.

***Event 3
w32time error (Event ID 29)
"The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 29 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

How can I fix this? It has become a HUGE nuisance at this point.

royhouser
[hourglass]
More is lost by Indecision than Wrong Decisions

I would check the internal wiring and network structure from the end user to the server it authenticates too. Make sure that if he or she is connected to a hub or switch it is not a faulty port or that the wiring is not loose or crimped to where if he or she bumps the cable it disconnects the end user. Not always is it going to be the software that causes these disconnects. Hope this helps.

I checked that and it was ok, but the odd thing is it's at 6:30 nightly.

royhouser
[hourglass]

royhouser,
were you ever able to find an answer to the xp pc that disconnects from the network nightly. I have the same issue and I am having a hard time finding an answer. Any ideas would be great. thanks kb_63

kb63,
I had to set up a static DNS. After a little more research the server was having a DNS error everynight when it tried to renew the DNS. After setting it static all problems have been resolved.

Good luck with yours.

royhouser
[hourglass]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back