Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disconnect your modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

A1Defiant

Technical User
May 24, 2001
GB
Ok not usually what you want to do but does anyone know a MSDOS command that will make the modem disconnect?

So I can write a *.bat file and disconnect the modem.

P.S. Other restriction is no other programs allowed such as net-time etc.

What could possibly be your reason for doing this? If you just shut down the application that is doing the dialing, the COM port will close and your connection will drop.

At any rate, you can try this:

echo "+++" > COM1:
pause 2
echo "ATH" > COM1:

I doubt seriously that this will work, because the application that controls the COM port should have locked the port so that no other application can access it. And, there are issues with the ECHO command that may cause undesired results, like sending a CRLF at the end of the +++ even though that was not your intention.

pansophic

Cheers,
Didn't work but what I want more control over when my modem dials to the internet and when it disconnects. If I had only one program using the internet it wouldn't be a problem.

I've got 4 seperate programs using the internet for various things and would like a easy way to disconnect without having to balance these programs and get them all to disconnect at time A and then all start up at Time B and have the modem to disconnect if no activity.

Thought if I could get hold of the modem by the sruff of the neck and force it to do what I want when I want and this would override anyother programs running

You can, but you do it through Dial-up Networking (MSDUN). It is what provides the PPP connection through your modem to your ISP.

There is an idle timer in DUN that can be configured to disconnect if the circuit is idle for a period of time. But I'm not sure how you configure Windows apps to force a connection. I know that it can be done, but I thought that you had to configure each app manually. I know that it can be done with Outlook, but if it is checking every 10 minutes, you might as well not drop the link.

I know that MSIE will prompt you to connect if it can't detect a network connection, but that is also manual. Maybe someone more familiar with Windows can help.

pansophic

I have the same problem... have you faund the solution? :eek:)

Regards,
Marco

Nope unfortunately non of these helped solve this one.
I'm on broadband now so don't have to worry about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back