Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disconnect sound before ringing on Merlin Magix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 7, 2005
US
Hello,

We have a Merlin Magix system and on all of our lines intermittently when we call out we hear a disconnect sound before the phone starts ringing.

Also, once in a while when talking to patients on their home line we will hear a click every minute or two, almost like the call is being recorded but we are not set up for recorded calls nor are the people on the other end (we know this because it happens when talking to employees who work from home)

Anyone else experience this?

Please describe "disconnect sound" for us. Is it different from the periodic clicks sometimes heard when talking with home patients? I'm also wondering if every extension experiences this problem or if this is isolated to one or two phones.

Tim Alberstein

its hard to describe but i will try...you know when you are talking to someone and you get disconnected and you hear like a fast "click.click"...then a dial tone? It is like that only this time following it is not a dial tone but ringing.

The periodic clicks are sort of the same "click" sound but instead of two you hear just one "click".

it happens on every phone. i have tried 5 different phones/extensions and it happens to all of them.

Hmmm. How many lines are we talking about? Are they POTS, analog DID or digital trunks?

If you only had four POTS lines on a 408MLX card--for example--I might suspect a bad board.

Have you called telco repair and asked them to look into this?

Tim Alberstein

We have 3 412TDL cards, the first two have 4 lines going in and the 3rd has two lines going into it.

There is one number that I call that I hear the noise every time, it is a cell phone of one of our marketers. So I gave them the number and they said they get that sound from their office so they blamed it on the cell phone company. I call that number from my cell phone and my home number but I dont get that sound.

From your previous post I gather that you have a total of 10 lines on the system. You mentioned one of the lines has the "clicking noise" constantly. My suggestion would be to test this line with a testset or 2500 set and see if the noise is still there. This way you can isolate the problem to the Telco facility or possibly your wiring or jacks or the Magix.

If the noise does appear on the testset or 2500 set when placing test calls, then you can probably assume that the problem is Telco related and call repair service to open a trouble ticket to get it fixed.

By the way, you mentioned that when the line clicks you hear a ringing tone. What happens after the ringing tone stops? Is your caller still on the line? What about incoming calls?

....JIM....

Are they ground or loop start lines?
If they are ground start a bad or loose ground on the cabinet or power supply could account for the clicking on the lines...

The interesting part of projectpete's post is that it sounds like this symptom can be reproduced by making calls to that number from outside of his PBX. I wonder if projectpete and the marketers are served by the same office, because this smells like a CO problem.

Merry Christmas everyone! I'm responding now because I don't feel like picking up all the wrapping paper...

Tim Alberstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back