Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disconnect after copying files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flexicar

MIS
Jun 13, 2002
US
I have seen different variations of problems like this, but not exactly like this:

I have a Server with Windows 2000 Server, SP2, Hardware is simple, a PC with a Celeron 1.4 gig, 512mb RAM, 40 Gig HD, Linksys 10/100 NIC.
My Switch is a Linksys 10/100 4-port.
My workstations are 3 with Windows 98SE, and one with Windows 2000 Pro.
All are typical hardware, all have the same Linksys NIC cards.

The problem is this: Whenever I copy a file from any of the workstation's C drive to the server, or from the Server to a Workstation, or download something from the Internet to the Server, it almost ALWAYS disconnects the Workstation from the Network. I get 'Access Denied' when I try to access a file on the server or print something from any of the workstations to the Server, which I am also using as a Print Server.
I cannot logoff and log back on, that does not fix it, I have to reboot the workstation every single time. File size makes no difference, it does it with 17KB, and it does it with 20MB files. It copies files complete - that's not a problem, but I just get bounced off the Server every time.

Any ideas ? Do something - learn something - It isn't going to fix itself.

Let me add to this:
I just went to my Private folder on my server, I didn't even open anything in it, then I went back < to my C drive, and then I went forward > to my Private folder on my Server, and I cannot connect to it, it says:

An error has occurred.

Microsoft Windows Network - the Local device name is already in use.
This connection has not been restored.

I'm lost, is this a permissions thing ?

I am mapping to //ServerA/PrivateF where the name of the server is ServerA
and the name of the folder is PrivateF. Inside of PrivateF are folders for each of the family members, and the only folks that can get to these folders are those logged in, such a Bill can only see the file named 'Bill'. //serverA/privateF/Bill.

I set security/sharing so only that person and the Administrator has access to his or her folder(s). Do something - learn something - It isn't going to fix itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back