Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disclaimer Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 8, 2004
CA
Good day everyone,

Seem to be having an issue with setting a global disclaimer on our Exchange 2003 server. I ran through the steps in the Microsoft KB Article ( or at least I thought I had, but can not seem to get the disclaimer to appear.

I tested this by sending email to an outside address, but no go. Is there something I am missing here?

- Exchange 2003 (build 7638.2 Service Pack 2)
- OS Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP4

>Is there something I am missing here?

Yes. Basically you don't seem to have understood the importance of the Note at the end of the article; hardly suprising, as it is nowhere near as clear as it should be - but at least the Note is now there; the original version of the article made no mention of this. The link to KB273233 below the Note is somewhat more explicit.

To summarise, basically the sink doesn't work with MAPI clients (such as Outlook) even though it appears to, since the (temporary) SMTP version of the email gets chucked away after the event fires. The solution requires a second Exchange Server set up as an outbound smart host or edge server, and an SMTP connector to that smart host created. The sink has to be on the smart host.

That method has never been as useful as it could be. A third party app like Exclaimer would be a better fit. Somthing to consider, though, with ANY method... If you have users using a personal certificate to do digital signing or encryption, email disclaimers at the server level break those messages. This is because the message is essentially "tampered with" after the user sends it.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Strongm,

I see what yo are saying, thanks!!

Pat, I think I have found a way using a reg hack to make our AV solution add a signature, but thanks for the heads up on the certificate, this makes sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back