Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

disc2 verification 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgotty

Technical User
Jul 29, 2003
US
I am getting a verification failure for disc2 of RH9 setup.

I downloaded the ISO files for the three setup discs and verified them with md5sum, comparing to the values in the MD5SUMS in the area with the ISO files. I then burned them to CDROM. During the first part of installation it asks if you want to verify the media. I select that and it compares the CDs. Disc1 and Disc3 pass but Disc2 fails.
I've tried burning a number of CDs for disc2 at slow speeds and on different burners and get they all fail.

Any suggestions?

-Rod

Have you tried re-downloading the ISO image? Have you tried installing Red Hat anyway, even though it failed the media check?

ChrisP

[Have you tried re-downloading the ISO image?]

No because the md5sum of the file matches the md5sum in the MD5SUMS file. This is supposed to indicate that the contents of the ISO file that I downloaded match that published by the author who generated the original md5sum. Downloading it again won't gain me anything. Had the md5sum not matched - that would be the first thing that I would have done.

[Have you tried installing Red Hat anyway, even though it failed the media check?]

No because I want to be sure that there are no corrupted files getting into the installation. Debugging an installation with a bad binary or configuration file is a real pain - I think the time would be better spent ensuring that the image from which to install was clean.

Has anyone downloaded the ISO file for disc2 and burned it to a CD and then run through the media check and passed? If so, what was the md5sum of their ISO file?

Thanks,
-Rod

Rod,
I've downloaded all three discs, verified the md5 checksums, and installed w/ no problem. I did not do disc verification because it slows the install so much. But even though I didn't do the verification I still installed with no problem. I figure the md5's matched and that was good enough for me.

I've completed installations even after the media check on a disc fails. It can't hurt to try to install it anyway. Also, have you run the media check from a different computer or CDROM? Its possible that your CDROM is having trouble reading the disc.

ChrisP

[I've completed installations even after the media check on a disc fails. It can't hurt to try to install it anyway.]

Actually, I very much disagree with the above statement. I don't want to waste my time tracking down a bad library file or configuration file because I installed from a bad CD. Sure, it adds about an extra 15-20 minutes onto the installation; but, you only have to do the verification once. Just because the md5sum of the ISO files match does not mean that the CD itself was burned without problem - this is exactly the reason for the media check.

[Its possible that your CDROM is having trouble reading the disc]

This is a very good observation and I will investigate it further. Currently, I have been trying to install within a VMware "virtual" machine under W2k. Perhaps VMware is having a problem with the CDROM for this disc. I'll try it on the same machine (laptop) without VMware - just the media check and also on another machine without VMware if that still fails - thanks for the suggestion.

-Rod

Simple solution, download it again, even though your MD5 matches.. this problem happens often, I have no idea why, your best bet is just to ditch the current ISO, hit pick another site, and grab it and burn again.

I agree with dorga, I would re-download if your unsure of the disc. There are plenty of mirrors to choose from.

I still don't see a problem trying the installation anyway because the installation will fail if it can't install any packages. BTW, this happens often when doing GUI installations in VMware, so do a text install. If your installing Red Hat 9, I would use VMware 4, I don't think it works with 3.2. Also, after the installation is complete, you could run a verify on all installed packages...

rpm -Va

ChrisP

[Its possible that your CDROM is having trouble reading the disc.]

This lead me to find the problem in that it was VMware 4.0 build 4006 that was the culprit. That machine was running W2K with WMware installed so I could load Linux on top of W2K. I rebooted the machine with the Linux CDs, knowing that I wasn't going to do an install but rather just the media check, and ran the media check from there (i.e. not in a VMware session under W2K) and all the Discs, including Disc2, passed the media check. In fact, I check the other disc2 CDs that I burned at lower speeds, thinking that it was the CD burner. Well, it turns out that it was a problem with VMware. There is a updated version of VMware but I'm not sure whether or not it fixes the problem.

[I still don't see a problem trying the installation anyway because the installation will fail if it can't install any packages...Also, after the installation is complete, you could run a verify on all installed packages: rpm -Va]

Thanks for this useful information. I didn't want to waist time installing from a potentially bad media; but, its good to know this about VMware and that I can verify the install with rpm -VA.

Thanks all for your help!

-Rod

Only way I have gotten around this is to mount the disc 2 ISO as a virtual CD drive.

However, Redhat will not boot for me after I finish the install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back