Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

disaster recovery won't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

bartja

MIS
Mar 10, 2004
NL
I'm new to arcserve and am trying to test a disaster recovery.
I have a w2k server installed with sp 4 on the cd is sp3
Active dyrectory is installed nothing special further.
I installed arcserve2000 with all possible options and made a full backup on the local tapedrive.
Created the bootflops as the manual told me.
This part worked fine and i could create a bootkit.
First question: I see no option for creating a bootable cdrom can anyone tell me how i can activate that option.
I entered an empty disk in the server and booted by floppy,
Reinstalled w2k server and the manual promised me that after the installation a beautifull popup window would apear with dr wizard.
You guess nothing hapened
After several times with all sorts off changes i'm starting to go insane.
Can anyone tell me whats going wrong??

Bart

The manual says Select Create Boot Kit from the ARCserve Program Group and choose Create CA Bootable CD Image.

Not sure about your post "I entered an empty disk in the server and booted by floppy, Reinstalled w2k server"

The DR process does not reinstall Windows 2000 Server, it does install a temporary minimal of windows. The boot.ini is installed pointing to this special DR install of windows and that is when you should get the DR Wizard. I've seen a lot of different DR problems but not this one, sounds like the DR steps were not followed correctly.

With entering an empty disk i ment entering an empty drive
This to simulate the disater of drive breakdown.
Then i started the machine from w2k setup floppy which were overwritten by arcserve dr and off which the manual says the should lead to dr after installing windows.

I guess i'm doing something wrong but reading the manual is usualy one thing i try to do secure ;-)

Bart

I see you have w2k with SP4. Make sure the latest sp for AS2000 is also inntalled.

Hey Fritz and David,

The manual David is linking is the one i'm talking about in my first thread.
I don't get the option "Make boottable cd".

Fritz,
How do i get and install the servicepacks for arcserve2000 ?

Thanks for your help guys,

Bart

Okay this looks like getting me somewhere.
There's only one question left:
I'm working with a dutch version off arcserve2000.
Could this lead to some frust again?
Did anyone have bad experiences?
I rather work in english but our customers don't.

Thanks verry much and...... i'll be back;-)

Bart

Told ya,

I'm back but this time not to ask anymore questions but to thank you for the help you gave me.
I finaly made several good DR's and it looks like i'm starting to enyoy working with arcserve2000 at last.

Thanks again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back