Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disaster recovery / System Restore 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmore628

IS-IT--Management
Mar 7, 2007
US
Disaster recovery / System Restore

Well to make a long story short we have a single Dell Power Edge 1800 with Windows SBS 2003 server with 2 mirrored drives (RAID 1). I went on vacation leaving a solid server that’s been up for a few years and came back to an email saying it went down because of a bad hard drive. My non IT professional co workers called Dell because the HD array alarm was going off and which was ok we have support and they can just come out and replace a drive or something. So they came out and couldn’t recover the array and lost everything they tell me. They replaced the controller and the bad drive and the system now is ready for re installation and restore.

Note:
They don’t pay for my cell phone and cut my sweet back up server out of my budget. (in case you were wondering).

So my I have a some what current full back up but the drives were partitioned and I don’t think I backed up partition info…..

Tomorrow is my first day back and I’m going to do the restore… Any advice?

Thanks
Pat

I wish!!! Unfortunately it is a domain controller and has or had DNS, DHCP, sharepoint and a bunch of apps on it. I just dont know why I can check sys state but cant check the individual items within. And they all artent checked so i cant just do them all which you should do anyways.

I moved all my apps/ files to another domain controller and we are limping along.

If my other server was the first domain controller and was a SBS server can I just configure my existing server with DNS/DHCP and re join the other SBS seerver into the domain with out any SBS issues? I heard they dont play nice

Look for a new job, one who values the cost of data and will get a good backup server inplace :D

Well, that changes things. I haven't done a restore of a DC in quite some time (thankfully), but I know there are more steps than just your standard restore. You need to be in AD Restore mode and I hope you know the password. I'm a little rust on the process, so you may want to do a search on restoring a domain controller. I'm not an SBS user so hopefully someone can offer more info on restoring SBS.

Yeah, I was in AD restore... not sure what the issue was. I dont have a lot of experience with restoring. I'm pretty much am back up now since I had all my data. I hated that SBS server anyways... I'm prob gonna wipe it out and put server 2003 on it.

Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back