Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disaster Recovery for External Calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

RD1234

Vendor
May 14, 2008
GB
Hi,

Is it possible to make an external call fallback to the attendant or voice mail on the CS1000 (Rls 5.5)?

Currently have IP phone used as a dummy extension so we can use TOD routing. In normal hours incoming DDI call gets sent to external help desk number after only 1 ring cycle (FDN/HUNT 9xxxxxxxxxxx); out of hours / weekend / holidays goes to voice mail (AFDN/AHNT 7000).

Want to send the call to reception should the external help desk number not connect during normal hours, is this possible?

Can we use PCA to do this, if so any guidance on how it would be configured appreciated?

Don't want two deives to ring at the same time, rather try external device (help line number) and in case help desk site is unreachable over public network redirect call to local reception.

Thanks
Rob

One way is to set up a Route List just for the call to the external help desk, and if the "network" is down, the next entry in the list could be an LTER=YES entry that points to the reception desk.

Of course, this only accounts for a network problem detected by your PBX. It does not account for the external number simply not answering.

Another way might be to have your carrier come up with some type of call control (you'd have to route the calls to some special number managed by them, then in turn they would route to the external help desk), so if the call isn't answered, it diverts somewhere else. Not sure how, but it's worth asking.

[©] GHTROUT.com [⇔] Resources for Nortel Meridian/CS1000 System Administrators - You Can Hire Me Too

Thanks for your reply. Hadn't thought of using an RLI approach. Will let you know how our PCA testing goes also.

Verizon had a situation like this set up for us when I was in Maryland.

We could go in and turn on and off the service ourselves when we had an emergency. We had to list the DID's that would be put into this pool of numbers that could be redirected. We had an Off-Site IVR that answered the calls and stated we were having technical difficulties and please try back.

The process was easy to use and manipulate, we could change the number the calls went to also easily. We just dialed their toll free, logged in, they had a menu we followed and in minutes could have everything answered.

I think they called it Custom Redirect Service.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back