Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

disaster recovery & FSMO roles

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogsbod

Technical User
Sep 25, 2003
GB
I've just installed a second DC(w2k3)in my w2k domain, I wish for this new DC to be the primary server authenticating logons etc. If I were to do a DR with the system state of this new DC would it be successful even though none of the fsmo roles are on it. I know how to transfer roles, i'm just not sure if I need do it. Also is there a remote utility that allows you to see which DC users are authenticating against? thanks for your help

I'm pretty sure restoring the system state of a server that had all the fsmo roles doesn't require seizing the roles after a DR restore, I've not come across it in any docs.
I would prefer to leave fsmo roles were they are, ie. on first dc in domain, but I want the new w2k3 system state to be the backup I choses for a DR. I guess I'll transfer the roles to the new w2k3 dc and make it a second GC aswell

From any client, drop to a CMD and type "set l", that'll tell which GC is authenticiating you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back