Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disaster: I cannot log on Win2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexregistry

Programmer
May 13, 2000
CA
After the installation of Service Pack 1 for Win2000 I experienced some <br>problems with my firewall software, so I decided to uninstall SP1.<br>Since then I cannot log on my machine always having the same (warning) <br>message:<br>The system cannot log you on now because the domain MY_COMP_NAME is not available.<br><br>I don't care if I have to reinstall OS, but I am too scary to lose my data <br>(last backup has been made in May).<br><br>I tried to repair OS using Emergency Repair Disk, it didn't work. I also tried <br>to play around with Console (part of repair process), but nothing helped.<br><br>When I wanted to access some data on my C drive using the console I got a message:<br>Access Denied (I was only able to go to winnt directory).<br><br>Is there any way to figure out what's going on? Is it possible to install NT <br>(with NTFS 4.0), and &quot;steal&quot; the data from Win2000 from C drive?<br><br>Any help would be highly appreciated.

You need NT SP4 or later to access data on a W2K NTFS volume. It would be my suggestion to plunk your drive in another unit to get the DATA off and then clean and reinstall. <p>Doug<br><a href=mailto:dxd_2000@yahoo.com>dxd_2000@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Please be advised that this issue has been discussed with the fine folks at Micro$oft. Win2k SP1 commonly causes serious problems with firewall software. ZoneAlarm is particularly susceptible to this disaster. For further details, you can check the Gibson Research site at
A good tool for NTFS recovery in situations like yours is NTFS4DOS ( not sure about the exact spelling ). An evaluation version is available from the publisher at It will fit on a Win9x-bootable 1.44M floppy. Boot Win9x from the floppy. When NTFS4DOS is run, it quickly searches for available NTFS partitions on local hard disks and mounts them as ReadOnly. This will allow you to copy data off to another drive.

Hope this is of some help.

-Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back