Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

disappearing mouse pointer

Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronConcannon

Technical User
Jan 24, 2001
GB
Hi,

I have an intermitant problem with win2k. Sometimes my mouse pointer disappears for a few seconds, the system isn't locked up, everything continues to work but the pointer just disappears.

I've tried moving the hardware acelleration slider for my graphics card all the way down, but the problem still occurs.

There's no obvious pattern about this problem, sometimes it doesn't happen for days, sometimes it's every 5 minutes.
sometimes it happens at start up, with no apps open, sometimes with several things going.

My system spec is

p233mmx
64mb ram
voodoo 3 3000 pci
logitech mouse wheel mouse
4.3 gig hdd

tia for any suggestions

Aaron

Get a hold of another mouse and see if it happens with that one. That will tell you for sure that its the mouse thats causing the problem. Also try - Reinstall the Logitech driver (get the latest Win2000 driver from Logitech website if possible)

Thanks, I'm already running the latest win2k version of mouseware (logitech driver) I've just installed the latest driver for my voodoo 3 card and so far the mouse pointer hasn't disappeared once. If the problem comes back I'll try swapping the mouse, thanks for your help Aaron Concannon
Aaron.concannon@BADSPAMBOTgmx.net
Remove BADSPAMBOT to reply by mail

I don´t know exactly what to do.

But look in the following place:

control panel -> System -> hardware -> device manager

Check so you dont have two mouses installed by accident.
Remove all the pointer devices and reboot...

I had a problem with my keyboard in the way that suddenly it started to repeat in eternity the last hit key. I changed from the USB-connection to the PS/2 connection and then it worked.

And...check for viruses. Maybe too simple, but you never know...

Hope you recover from the problem :)

Thanks for the suggestion,

There's only one pointing device listed in device manager and it's the correct one. Mouse is connected by the serial port, so that should be ok.

I'm definately virus free :)

So far the new 3dfx driver seems to have fixed the problem

I'll post back if the problem reoccurs Aaron Concannon
Aaron.concannon@BADSPAMBOTgmx.net
Remove BADSPAMBOT to reply by mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back