Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disappearing fonts when printing to EPS file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spamphilon

Technical User
Feb 5, 2002
ZA
I'm trying to print PM65 pages to EPS files to give to a service bureau to print banners. No problem generating the EPS files, but when I import those files into, say, Photoshop to check them, I get a message: "Some of the fonts you have used are not available on this machine. Continue anyway?". The rendered image then has one of the following problems:
1) A particular typeface or typefaces will render as empty blocks
2) A particular typeface or typefaces will default to Times Roman.

I can't pin the problem down to a particular cause. Some of the typefaces render perfectly. I have ensured that in all cases the relevant typefaces are stored in the right folders on my PC in both TT and T1 format, checking both with ATM and other typemanagers. I have tried numerous different PPDs when generating the EPS files, from Acrobat to Generic PS to Linotronic etc. In some cases I can't see a particular typeface but the service provider can. In other instances I can see all typefaces but the service provider gets them all as Times Roman. I have tried deleting all my fonts and reinstalling them (and from different font sources). I recently bought a new PC, all new software, but the problem is persisting here.
In fact the only option I haven't tried is drinking petrol and throwing myself off a bridge. Any help would be much appreciated...

Spamphilon,

The most likely problem would be corrupted fonts. Delete the fonts that come up in the error message, then reinstall them from the original disks or source. Try again and see what happens. Also, make sure that you do not have more than 100 fonts installed on your system at any one time.

I would have thought that to be the case, except the problem has persisted across to my new PC, which has new fonts from a different source than the fonts on my old PC. Also the problem persists whether I have 30 or 300 fonts installed at the time.

Spam,

Have you checked the option "download fonts: TT and PS" when printing to file? Also, when distilling, make sure to deselect the "subset fonts below%" under job options.

Is there any particular reason you are saving as EPS and not just PS? I know I have lots of problems that can't be expalined when doing EPS, and just default to PS to avoid the hassles.

And of course there is always the petrol and bridge if all else fails... :p

I have checked that download option, trying variously both the PS and the TT, just the PS, and just the TT. No luck. Photoshop cannot parse PS files, and I haven't been distilling, just giving the files to the bureau as EPS. Incidentally, I tried distilling anyway (from a PS), and the resultant PDF file, when I pulled it into Photoshop, had the same problem but with ALL the fonts incorrect, except this time they defaulted to Courier! Hahaha.

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate you taking the time to think about all of this.

PS: which tastes better: leaded or unleaded ...?

leaded is not environmentally friendly....

I always use the abode acrobat reader to check my files. Photoshop does not always parse .ps properly. I have always gotten blocks instead of fonts using .ps in Photoshop. But it usually will parse .eps. At least that has been my experience.

There is a freebie download from pdf995.com called, you guessed it pdf995.exe. You install it and it acts like a PS Printer. You chose it as your printer and it does a great job of making PDFs. It has succeeded where "export to pdf" and print to .ps and distill have failed, especially when using files with placed EPS graphics or OLE links.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back