Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disapearing Printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducatista

IS-IT--Management
Jan 5, 2006
US
I have a W2k pro machine on my network in which the shared printers that are added to it disapear. It typically happens overnight when the user is logged off. In the event log, the RPC service is stopping (event ID 7022). I've have not found what is causing the RPC service to stop or if this is even the reason why the machine is loosing the shared printers it is connected to?

What is causing/how do I correct the problem that is causing the printers to disapear?

Thanks,
Ryan

Does anything disappear??? For example desktop display settings???? Network drives???? Could possibly be a profiling issue - are you roaming or local??

No, nothing else is disapearing - the desktop is still there, along with all internet settings, outlook, and user profile settings. The profile is a local profile - it dosn't matter which user is logged onto the machine, for instance, if I log on as administrator (the domain admin) and add the printers, they will also disapear the next morning when I log on as administrator.

Upon restart, the following services are failing:
Automatic Updates
Distributed Link Tracking Client
IPSEC Policy Agent
Logical Disk Manager
Messenger
Print Spooler
Protected Storage
Removable storage
Task Scheduler
Windows Management Instrumentation

What is causing these services to fail?