Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disabling synchronization

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank100

Technical User
Oct 10, 2007
US
I have Act 2008 on my desktop machine. I also installed it on my laptop. I tried to synchronize the desktop database with the laptop yesterday, and all seemed to go well. However, when I went to the laptop I didn't see the database. I finally gave up trying to sync, and deleted ACT 2008 from my laptop. When I did a search, I found a lot more ACT files which hadn't been uninstalled, so I deleted them. I did not delete ths SQL files.

Today I reinstalled ACT 2008 on my laptop. I copied the latest backup zip of my desktop machine database files and put the backup in the Backup in my Folder on my laptop. Then, on the laptop, I chose Restore As, renamed the database, and restored it. I went perfectly and the database is running well.

However, when I went back to my desktop machnie, I could not disable synchronization. In the Synchronization Panel in the Tools menu, when I clicked on Disable Synchronization, the message came up "You must disable all ACT remote databases from Synchronizing before disabling this database".

Perhaps somewhere in the laptop's registry (or maybe the desktop machine) there is an entry saying that a Remote database is running? Do you have any suggestions how I can fix this, so I can turn off synchronizing? Thank you.

Thank you, Mike. That was very helpful. Everything is now up on running!

I had one question about syncing. I noticed that syncing works both from the server (desktop machine) to the remote (laptop) and vice versa. However, when syncing from the laptop to the desktop, if I update an address of an already-entered contact, the address update is not made on the desktop machine.

Are there rules about what gets updated and what doesn't? I have chosen the default of "Sync all available contacts." And I don't see any other options to define what parts of the database sync and what don't

I'm the only user. Is there something I need to do to make sure every field that changes in Contacts, notes, history, etc. gets updated from and to the remote computer?

Thanks for your continuing help!

Hank

I sync only from the remote to the publisher. (I didn't know it could even been done from publisher to remote.)

What I'm trying to resolve is why changes I make on the publisher, and changes I make on the remote, don't appear on the other computer when I sync from the remote.

To be specific, if I change an address on the publisher, and sync from the remote, shouldn't the address change show up on the remote? And shouldn't an address change I make on the remote change on the publisher, when I sync from the remote? The changes don't occur now.

Thanks for your patience.

The only reason changes aren't showing woul;d be if you haven't set up synchronisation properly.

Do any changes appear from one to the other?

Note: You might have to refresh the other database to see the changes (View | Refresh)

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Aust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back