Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disabling Messaging

Status
Not open for further replies.

JezzaHyde

Programmer
Jul 29, 2002
AU
Hey folks.

A fellow workmate is running Windows 2000 (something with which i am not too familiar) and has asked me if i could disable the windows messaging program, as each time the UPS on the server sends a message broadcasting its status, the message pops up on his screen and he doesn't like it.

I assumed that it could be disabled by removing it from the start-up...but i'm used to accessing the start-up programs through "msconfig", which apparently doesn't exist in 2000.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance

-Jezza

Jezza,

Windows 2K Net Use and Alerter Messaging runs from a “Service” called Messenger.

To disable this Service simply go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Administrative Tools
Double-Click the Services shortcut and look for a Service called Messenger. Right-click Messenger and click Stop. Please note that the user that is logged on will have to be part of the Local Administrator Users Group in order to disable this Service. Disabling the Messenger Service can have some side effects like preventing other applications that require the Service to possibly not work correctly. Not receiving other Alerter Messages from other critical services can also be an unforeseen side effect. I would also check the UPS Software on the Server to verify if there is an option to disable UPS status messaging.

-Tech Lingo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back