Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disabling Intel Boot Agent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegacyGuy

Technical User
Sep 3, 2004
US
hello, I have a Compaq Evo D510. Everytime I power-on it will initialize the Intel Boot Agent before actually boot the machine. This adds about 35-40 seconds on the boot time. Nothing's wrong with the machine it works as it should (with or without OS). I just want to disable the Intel Boot Agent because I am not using it and it will make the boot process faster. Can somebody please walk me through with this? I've tried the compaq tech support (chat) but is seems they are not familiar with this option on this machine.

Here's the specs: Compaq Evo D510,Compaq BIOS v3.18(latest), 512MB memory, CD-ROM, Diskette, no HD(I removed it so I know that it is not related to software/OS).

This is what I have done so far. Flashed and reflashed the BIOS several times, Reset/Cleared the CMOS. Disabled everything in BIOS that has something to do with network like 'Compaq ethernet controller', Network Boot Service', 'PME wake-up events'. I went into Intel Boot Agent menu but I can't change the boot order because it is defaulted to BIOS boot order. In the BIOS the boot order is this, CD-ROM, Diskette, HD in that order. I even went into Intel website and used the utility IBAUTIL, BROW, FBOOT and it turned out that those utilities don't support LOMs (lan-on-motherboard).
I've tried F10 menu (BIOS), F12 (force boot to network) no menu here but it will fail as I don't have a network to boot from, Ctrl+S (Intel Boot Properties) but I can't change the boot order. I'm sure i'm missing something here or whatever to fire up the magic menu that will disable Intel Boot Agent'.

Thanks in advance

legacy guy

Download that and extract it. You'll need some way to access it outside of Windows - I would recommend formatting a floppy (right-click on A: in My Computer) with MS-DOS System Files (check the appropriate box in the format window). Then, copy the file IBAUtil from the download you extracted to the floppy you created.

Boot to a command prompt with this floppy, at which you'll type " ibautil /FD " (without the quotes). That should disable it.

If this somehow causes trouble, " ibautil /FE " will restore it.

Anyone have an idea how to do the same without a floppy, as my laptop is not so equipped.

You might aso check the boot priority settings in your BIOS and move your hard drive ahead of what might show up as "LAN". This way, the OS on your HD will take over before Boot Agent gets a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back