Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disabling Integrated Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsloan

Technical User
May 26, 2003
US
Hi,
i just bought a GeForce4 440 SE 64mb PCI for my emachine 400i
and a direction is to disable my integrated onboard video. Well i boot up into bios and i see no options for this and i look at the manual and its different,i know that there are different bios for different motherboards. i grew impatient and went ahead and plugged in my card into the PCI slot on the the motherboard,then plugged my moniter into the connection,it booted up to windows,but when i was at my desktop it looked as if it was in safe mode,but wasent, my resolution must have been defualt becasue i didnt install the drivers yet,i didnt think much of it,so i inserted the cd and ran the install drivers,it did so, then i was prompted to reboot..after the boot it remained the same resolution and color.16colors and 640x680res."Uh oh maybe i screwed up"

After that i rebooted once more,this time to only get half booted up then it completly froze up on me,i tried rebooting after that acouple more times,and then i decided to take out the card and plug my moniter back to the original place... And thats where i am now.

so the drivers are still installed,it wouldnt detect them
when the moniter was connected to the card but they were installed. Basically im asking if i MUST disable my integrated video which is ATI RAGE IIc -and ifso does anyone have any advice on doing this in this bios.
THX:)

If there is no such option in the Bios, try searching the board for some jumper to disable the integrated VGA manually.
Is there an option called (Init VGA -> AGP/PCI) in your Bios? Or is that the option you are missing?

thanks for replying man ,Well there is an option called "Initial Display Select"
and it is set to PCI slot and it was before i even tryed to install the card.Its the closest option to it..
about the jumper cables can u give any advice on how i would do this if necessary?
thx

well i changed the jumper to disable it(i found a manual for my motherboard through some hard searching) so i plug in the card fitting it nice and properly and then plug the moniter into that,it then displays the card info when u boot up untill gets to the windows screen and cranks then it freezes,but still cranks for awhile,but it never gets to the desktop, it always freezes there,i have no idea what is causing this,but if i can get past this then i can install the drivers im sure...does any one have any ideas?

if u mean safe mode yes, but it doesnt detect my d:/ drive when i boot in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back