Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disabling CD-ROM boot 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

widdgetz

Technical User
Aug 31, 2003
US
First, I'd like to say I am not just looking for instructions to use BIOS to change boot order.

A colleague of mine has threatened to use a boot disk to enter into Windows and destroy my system. Is there any way to disable the CD-ROM drive so that it will not respond to a boot disk?

Here are some things that will not work in my particular situation:
• Any changes than can be undone by this individual without entering XP (this person is a semi-skilled hacker and has cracking software from a job in desktop support)
(ie) BIOS changes, unplugging the device, etc.
• Anything that has an easy workaround
• Anything that I cannot reverse/turn off once I have logged in if it disables the CD-ROM drive

Here are some indirect solutions that would work:
• A password that is required before booting occurs
• A password that is required to use the CD-ROM device

Any other ideas will be greatly appreciated, this is a very time-sensitive issue for me, thanks ahead of time to anyone who can provide an answer.

I had this problem with a friend of mine using a Linux boot CD to change my Windows XP password ....

I added a BIOS boot up password and now he can't get close to me.

I also just found the BIOS security features on my computers. I just updated my laptop BIOS yesterday, before it was very simple and didn't seem to have any security features. I probably never cared enough to look before.

I'm going to do some research to see if there are any workarounds still, though. =)

Thanks

Just about every google result for "bios password" is how to bypass it. I can lock my desktop case to prevent any hardware tampering, but there are of course BIOS backdoor passwords that are readily available.

Add a key to your case that removes power from the CD and Floppy drives making them unusable.

Sounds like you need physical security.

Personally I'd also report the threats if possible so that they are logged in case he cracks your account.

HTH

TazUk

[pc] Blue-screening PCs since 1998

Thank you all for your help.

For now I am using the BIOS password and have checked my BIOS password input for all the backdoor passwords I could find and nothing worked, thankfully. I have also locked my computer case so that the password could not be reset through a CMOS reset or other hardware tampering.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back