Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disabled driver in Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewDrake

Technical User
Feb 16, 2003
US
I installed a mouse driver on Windows 2000 Pro. It disabled a keyboard driver, kbdclass.sys, so now when I boot up I get to the Ctrl+Alt+Del and nothing happens. I checked it remotely by accessing Device Manager and it says the driver has been disabled. I also checked the Registry hives; Hardware\DEVICEMAP and the keyboard key has been deleted. I tried to readd the keyboard key, but Windows won't let me. I used the linux boot disk from < and set the services for the kbdclass to start on boot up, but that didn't work. I would appreciate any suggestions and help.

When you boot up Win2k, Press F8, and select 'Last Known Good Configuration'. This hopefully will get you back to before you installed the mouse driver.

I tried that but it didn't work. Also, I didn't make an ERD, and I'm kicking myself for it, so I can't use that to repair the damage. I was wondering if there was anything I could do from the recovery console, or can I access Device Manager remotely and reload the driver. I have admin rights through a group. Could someone with local admin rights connect remotely and reload the driver?

Don't know about the remote thing. If you have the Win2k install CD, you could boot up with the CD (change CMOS boot sequence), and then run the Repair option from the CD.

Thanks beerhunter2, I tried that too, but no go. I keep shaking my head and thinking, &quot;Dang, it was only a mouse driver&quot;. Anyhow, live and learn. If you have any more tricks up your sleeve please post them. I'm desperate and not ready to reload Windows and all the software that was on that PC yet.

Is there any way to get Windows to boot up (ie. Safe Mode or Dos Mode)? Somehow we need to get into either the system Registry, or into Control Panel to remove the Mouse driver and Keyboard driver so that Windows will reinstall them.

Let me know which modes Windows can boot up to (maybe even debugging mode).

I'm gone for the day, so can't help you out anymore until either later tonight, or tomorrow morning. Hope this doesn't cause any inconvenience.

I can boot into safe mode, and safe mode with the command prompt, but it always comes up with the Ctrl+Alt+Del, and the keyboard is dead. I even went into the registry with the linux boot disk and went to Software\Microsoft\Windows Nt\CurrentVersion\Winlogon and disabled the Ctrl+Alt+Del by changing the DisableCAD entry to 1, so it would boot straight to the logon screen and bypass the Ctrl+Alt+Del screen completely. I was hoping the kbdclass.sys file was only needed at the Ctrl+Alt+Del screen, but that didn't work. I've run diagnostics on the keyboard and it tests fine. It also works if I go into the Bios. If I remove the keyboard I get an error message, so it's recognizing it, but it won't work in Windows, so I'm locked out. I think the only chance I have is to somehow enable or reinstall the driver remotely from another computer, but I don't know how, or if it can even be done. I appreciate your help. I just wish I'd never loaded that mouse driver.

Check to see if your kbdclass.sys file exists. Maybe the mouse driver deleted it, or corrupted it. You should find it in the C:\winnt\system32\drivers directory. You should also find a copy in the C:\winnt\ServicePackFiles\i386 directory.

If it exists in the C:\winnt\system32\drivers directory rename it, and copy a fresh copy from the C:\winnt\ServicePackFiles\i386 directory.

Also check on the file Keyboard.drv which should exist in your C:\winnt\system, C:\winnt\system32, and C:\winnt\system32\dllcache directories.

And a file Keyboard.sys should exist in your C:\winnt\system32 and C:\winnt\ServicePackFiles\i386 directories.

You also mentioned that you can get into your system registry file with your Linux boot disk. Are you able to import and export from your registry?

I actually managed to get into the PC today beerhunter2. I went into the Registry using Regedt32 from another PC and I was able to view and manipulate the locked PC's registry. I set the Ctrl+Alt+Del entry so it wouldn't come up but instead boot straight to the login box. I also set the Autologon entry and added a Default password entry and a Forced logon entry. We run public PC's and they're set to autologon so I just copied the entries and added my username and password. It booted up and went straight to the desktop. I felt great, then I spent the rest of the day trying to load the doggone keyboard driver but it just wouldn't load. Tomorrow I'm going to check those files you mentioned and replace them like you suggested. I really appreciate your help and if you have any more suggestions for the keyboard, now that I can actually get into Windows, I'm all ears.

Has anyone find a solution for this problem. It appears I have almost the identical problem. No keyboard or mouse at login, same in safe mode. Short of reformatting the drive I’m not sure what else I can do.

jks373:

There is a virus that causes this - you DO have some recently updated AV don't you.

If worst comes to worst take out HD ands scan on a protected system - you may find (if it is a virus) that your BIOS is eaten and you need to get a new mobo.

This happened to a customer of mine last year...

We were never able to get the keyboard working again. After I got in using the autologon I was able to hook up a usb keyboard and that worked fine. But the people in charge didn't want to use a usb and we ended up reimaging the PC. I also had a problem at home. I'm running Windows 2000 pro and I hooked a usb logitech trak ball up to my PC, it recgonized it and worked fine, but I didn't like it and when I tried to go back to the p/s2 mouse, guess what, I couldn't load the driver. These were definately not virus problems, but that is a good thing to check. Sorry, I wish I had the answer to this, and if anyone finds it I'd sure like to know what it is.

jks373, if you're running Windows 2000 and you're on a network I can help you get into the PC through the registry settings, if you're not on a network I can send you the files to make a linux boot disk that will allow you to get into the registry settings and set the autologon, and then you can try a usb board and mouse. Just let me know. NewDrake@hotmail.com
Good luck. And if you solve your problem, please post it.

After much searching and cursing go old w2k, I ended up reintalling w2k on a second drive. I then copied my data file back. This is really a nice bug in w2k as i see it. Thanks all for the info. I had tried the USB mouse but that did not work. I didn't have a USB keyboard to try out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back