Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disabled accounts on HP-UX 10.20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaos1

Programmer
Oct 14, 2009
US
Hello,<br><br>Does anyone have any advice on how to enable accounts? My root account has become disabled. Thanks

Log with another account that has access to SAM.&nbsp;&nbsp;Go into SAM and reactivate the root account.

Try logging in from the console. <p>Mike<br><a href=mailto:michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com>michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>

I do not have another account with access to sam. I am able to log on with another user at the console howerver, I am not able to su -. I also tried to boot into single-user mode and change my root password which was successful. On reboot, the root account was still disabled.

Sorry, I read your question wrong.&nbsp;&nbsp;I thought that the root account was deactivated.

I appriciate your response. Any other suggestions on what I might try?

Obvious question - sorry - but, can you run SAM from single user as root? <p>Mike<br><a href=mailto:michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com>michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>

A bit of a longshot but login as another user. Try the su command followed by password. Then try running sam. If this runs you should be able to reactivate root login.

I tried but SAM will not run from single-user. I also tried to login as another user and the su command followed by the password. It still says the account is disabled. I can run SAM as a user but I do not have the privleges to add or remove users or groups.

Kaos -- are you running a &quot;trusted system&quot;? <p>Mike<br><a href=mailto:michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com>michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>

I'm sorry, I am still new to the unix world. What do you mean by &quot;trusted system&quot;? If you mean do I allow others to use my system then no.

Hi Kaos,<br><br>A Trusted System is a way of running your HP box, it gives a higher degree of security than the standard way.<br><br>I asked because, when we converted to a trusted system, I began having trouble with the root login becoming disabled.<br><br>Unfortunately I'm not in the office tomorrow, and I don't have an HPUX computer at home. If you're still having trouble when I get back in the office (thu, sorry) I'll dig around and find out some stuff for you. <p>Mike<br><a href=mailto:michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com>michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>

Kaos1,<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;after hunting through some man pages... I found this in <FONT FACE=monospace>man 1 login</font>:<br><br><font color=#00CC00>On a trusted system, login always allows user root to log in on the console unless /etc/securetty exists and does not contain console.</font><br><br>It also stated that the administrative lock could be set on that user account or the terminals involved..<br><br>So it is worth checking if a /etc/securetty exists and reading it to see if a <FONT FACE=monospace>console</font> entry is in there. If it isn't then you may be a bit stuffed!<br><br>Another problem (which would be worse) is that on our systems at least /etc/securetty is read-only, requiring root privilages...<br><br>It might be worth searching the FAQs on hpsearch.com.<br><br>Good Luck!<br>Loon

Mike and Loon,

The box was setup as a standard load. So I believe that it is not a trusted system. Also, I have an /etc/securetty file that needs root privileges to open or change. I search the HP faqs for anything on the root account becoming disabled and found nothing. I believe I'm stuck. Again, I appriciate any help you could give.
Thanks

Kaos1

Boot to single user mode. Then mount /usr. Then run the following command:

/usr/lbin/modprpw -kroot

This should work. Let me know.

You can tell very quickly if your HP is a &quot;trusted&quot; system by looking at the /etc/passwd file. If the /etc/passwd file contains encrypted passwords, the sytem is NOT trusted. If ALL the passwd fields are &quot;*&quot; this indicates that the system has been converted to a &quot;trusted&quot; system. The actual encrypted passwds are located in /tcb/files/auth/...

crowe

Hi

Another thing you could try if you have a trusted system (use crowe's way to see if you have a trusted system or not by looking in /etc/passwd file), is to edit the /tcb/files/auth/r/root file. You will see a line similar to this :

u_unsuctty=pts/tb:u_numunsuclog#1:u_lock:chkent:

Add a @ sign after the u_lock, so that the line looks like the following :

u_unsuctty=pts/tb:u_numunsuclog#1:u_lock@:chkent:

Hope this ends you nightmare!!

George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back