Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

disable window unhide database option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfunk

Technical User
May 7, 2007
GB
i have a database that the users are able to get in the bacend of datbase by clicking the window unhide option. is there a way to disable that option to click window unhide?

Which version of Access are you using? Are you talking about the menu bar which lets you go up to WINDOW > UNHIDE > DATABASE WINDOW ???

If so, then you can set the option in startup options to not allow default menus. But if you do, you'll want to create your own (perhaps) so that they have some of what they might want/need.

Bob Larson
FORMER Microsoft Access MVP (2008-2009, 2009-2010)
Free Tutorials/Samples/Tools:

How are ya pfunk . . .

Since their not suppose to have access to the backend anyway, why not [blue]password[/blue] protect the backend? If you do you'll have to remove and relink the tables from the fe. [purple]To be safe be sure to backup fe/be![/purple]

See Ya! . . . . . .

Be sure to see thread181-473997 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]
Also faq181-2886 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]

Also look around there is a site that has a diable for the shift key so user can not bypass the startup. I use this because I do not have front and back ends.

Never give up never give in.

There are no short cuts to anything worth doing :)

I use this because I do not have front and back ends.
assets - If you aren't using a split database then you are playing Russian Roulette with your data. Even for a single person use, I recommend splitting the database to a frontend/backend setup. That way if the frontend corrupts, you don't run the risk of losing your data. You can keep a backed up copy of the frontend to replace if it goes bad but if you lose your data then you have to reenter it all from the point of backup to the point you lost it. And, if it goes down completely, everyone can't do any work. Whereas if you have it split, with a copy of the frontend on EACH USER'S MACHINE, then if one person's frontend corrupts (and it can easily enough with a network disruption, no matter how brief) you only have to deal with their problem and everyone else can keep working. AND it is less likely your backend will suffer from corruption too. It is still possible but it is WAY less likely.

See here for more about why to split:

Bob Larson
FORMER Microsoft Access MVP (2008-2009, 2009-2010)
Free Tutorials/Samples/Tools:

assets ?

See Ya! . . . . . .

There was a utility (on a site in england) that added extra to access 2003 it gave you a check box where you could disable the shift key in the database.

assets . . .

So sorry ... I meant to prompt [blue]pfunk[/blue]. Hasn't come back since opening the thread.

See Ya! . . . . . .

I added 2 faq to the first post but they must have dropped off
FAQ 702-5856
FAQ 181-4888

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back