Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

disable the IE proxy settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murugs

Technical User
Jun 24, 2002
US
I have a w2k3 domain and 20 client computers. In a few machines I need to change the IE proxy server settings and the user should not be able to edit the settings. How do I do this.

My aim is to restrict internet access to few folks. SO I am adding a fake proxy so that the user will not be able to get connected to the internet.

You can do this by using group policy. There is are proxy settings available in the User Configuration>>Windows Settings>>Internet Explorer Maintenance>>Connection. Create an OU that has the new policy applied and put the users who should be restricted in it.

Thanks for the answer. I will try it out and keep it posted. I am learning about group policy now.

I have one more question.
My network consist of w2k,xp sp1 and xp sp2 machines. I need to update the xp sp 1 PC's to XP SP 2 (about 8).
I know this is possible but how do I do it using the group policy.

MP

I tried the group policy and set the Proxy IP. It worked. The user was not able to go on to the internet. But he was able to go into IE options and change the proxy server settings field. How do I limit him from doing that. Is this possible?

MP

if you can't find the option to remove the connections tab in the user settings try the machine settings.

In Group Policy -

Computer Configuration > Administrative Template > Windows Components > Internet Explorer > Internet Control Panel > Disable the Connections Page.

I am in the same boat, but I need to allow these users access to certain websites on the internet. Is there anyway to place the allowed websites in a safe zone, but but all other websites in a restricted zone, then only allow outbound traffic to safe zone?

I think you cannot do this by group policy. You have to use a proxy server to restrict websites to users.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back