Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

disable the 'Enter parameter value box'

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonikudi

Technical User
Sep 9, 2007
US
hey guys,

in my vb code i am running a query that has a null column...when i use the front end to run the query it shows a box saying 'Enter parameter value'. The null col cannot be removed and is important for the next step of this qry...

is there anyway i can disable this dialog box from showing up???

Thanks for any help.

Why are you using a parameter prompt and the same query with code? IMHO, parameter prompts are never a good idea faq701-6763.

Duane MS Access MVP
Now help me support United Cerebral Palsy

I am not using a parameter prompt.. All my queries are in the VB code and i am using a form for the user to enter whatever parametes i need. The problem is that in my code i have a null column..and there are reasons for which i cannot remove the null column...this column does not exist in the table ..its just an extra column..say col3.

Every time i run the query the 'Enter parameter value' dialog box pops up asking me to enter a value in for that null column. If i don't specify anything and hit ok i get the results i desire...but i don't want the IMHO box to pop up...

Hope this make it clear...
Thanks

Double check the spelling of you fields names in your query ...

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

double checked the spelling. Thats correct. I am adding my code as well, just incase i am missing something obvious, The qry in the bold is the one thats giving me the IMHO box..i need the first 2 queries inorder to run the 3rd qry...

Code:
Private Sub NoFailedPCBByET()
Dim qdf As DAO.QueryDef
Dim StrSQL As String

StrSQL = "SELECT t1.[Error Code],t2.Description,COUNT(t1.[PCB SS #]) AS TtlNumberFailed " & _
" FROM [PCB Incoming_Production Results] AS t1, [PCB Error Codes] as t2 " & _
" WHERE t1.[Error Code]<> 'Pass' AND t1.[Error Code]<> 'n/a' AND t1.[Error Code]= t2.[Code] AND Manufacturer = """ & Me.txtMfg & """ And [Date] Between #" & _
   Me.txtMfgStart & "# AND #" & Me.txtMfgEnd & "# GROUP BY t1.[Error Code],t2.Description; "

Set qdf = CurrentDb.QueryDefs("qryNoFailedPCBByET")
    'if query exists
    qdf.SQL = StrSQL
End Sub

Private Sub NotHaveED()
Dim qdf As DAO.QueryDef
Dim StrSQL As String
[b]
StrSQL = "SELECT (t1.[Error Code]), NULL AS col3, count (t1.[Error Code])As TtlNumberFailed " & _
"FROM [PCB Incoming_Production Results] AS t1 LEFT JOIN [PCB Error Codes] ON t1.[Error Code] = [PCB Error Codes].CODE " & _
"WHERE ((([PCB Error Codes].Code) Is Null)) AND t1.[Error Code]<>'n/a' GROUP BY (t1.[Error Code]), col3; "[/b]

Set qdf = CurrentDb.QueryDefs("qryNotHaveED")
    qdf.SQL = StrSQL
End Sub

Private Sub Unionqry()
Dim qdf As DAO.QueryDef
Dim StrSQL As String

StrSQL = "SELECT * FROM qryNoFailedPCBByET UNION SELECT * FROM qryNotHaveED; "
Set qdf = CurrentDb.QueryDefs("qryUnionqry")
  'if query exists
 qdf.SQL = StrSQL
End Sub

Replace this:
"WHERE ((([PCB Error Codes].Code) Is Null)) AND t1.[Error Code]<>'n/a' GROUP BY (t1.[Error Code]), col3; "
with this:
"WHERE [PCB Error Codes].Code Is Null AND t1.[Error Code]<>'n/a' GROUP BY t1.[Error Code]; "

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Thank you PH!....who woulda thought that such a simple solution could have fixed such an annoying problem.:)..thanks..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back