Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disable Startup Programs for Windows 2000 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

crmayer

Programmer
Nov 22, 2002
US
Does anybody know of a way or a free download to manage start up programs in windows 2000?

you can also extract msconfig from ealier versions such as windows 98, or me.

If you are familiar to the registry, you can do this:
Click Start
Click Run
Type regedit
Hit enter
Look in this path: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\run]
There you have all startup programs.
But I reccommend you to backup (export under the registry menu) every "key" you want to delete in case you need to put it back.

If you´re not familiar to "the registry".. dont do this.

Strator

Extension to Strators reply - they may also appear in the registry on the HKEY_LOCAL_USER\<rest is same as for LOCAL_MACHINE>
<< JOC >>

I too sometimes want to disable startup programs (it was easier under Win98) and editing the registry is a pain. I use jv16powertools, which under the section &quot;registry&quot; has an option for listing and removing the startup programs. When you remove one, it keeps it in a backup so it's easy to put back in the startup. Here's a link:

mlin.net has two small programs for controlling your start menu items. Very small and work great. Startup Control Panel and Startup Monitor. The monitor will prompt you when a program wants to load at startup, all you have to do is say yes or no. You can disable items just by removing the checkmark next to them. I highly recommend this program. Been using it about two years and have never had one problem with it.

A minor problem with StartupCPL : To remove unchecked item boxes, one may need to edit the registry at H_C_U\Software\mlin\StartupCPL. A similar problem for users of MSCONFIG was discussed in thread779-439982.

Note: I've never had any problems with Startup Manager.

Try Startup Cop, a pcmag utility. The program is accompanied by a helpful article: &quot;Take Charge of Windows Start-up&quot; by Neil J. Rubenking. Startup Cop allows you to create differenct &quot;profiles,&quot; specifying which programs should be enabled or disabled depending on profile selected. The Help feature with Startup Cop points out that there are in fact 7 locations from which programs might be started: three locations in the Registry, two lines in WIN.INI, and two folders.

I like the PCMag utilities because there is an organization with deep pockets to stand behind them, ensuring, I assume, good quality control for the software they distribute.

Mike

With startup.cpl, you can right-click > delete items you don't even want to see in the list. This will first just move them to the &quot;deleted&quot; tab. In there, you can do the same thing again and it'll prompt you if you really want them gone. Say yes, and they're off the list.

I've used that for two years or so (starting at the first install of 2k, screaming &quot;where's my msconfig&quot;). I've spread it around as much as I can and have never had nor heard any complaints. Good stuff.

On the bright side of things, it's snowing! Us southerners don't get it enough, it's always special here. :) ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...but I'm just a C man trying to see the light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back