Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

disable speakers on sony vaio

Status
Not open for further replies.

venkman

Programmer
Oct 9, 2001
US
I recently inherited a sony vaio from a friend. Apparently he spilled something on it and had to buy a new one. The laptop appears to be in almost perfect condition except for the speakers. The built-in speakers periodically make a little bit of a pop sound. That sound alternates from left to right, sort of like "tic-toc..... tic-toc.....tic-toc". I don't really care about sound, and I'm wondering if there's a way to disable the speakers completely, i.e. cut power to them. Any suggestions? Oh, and if it's something that can be done in the OS, I'm planning on running Linux as my primary os and maybe dual booting to Windows XP Pro.

I'm not totally familiar with this particular model but you should just be able to enter the bios and disable the onboard sound which effectively should stop any audio output to the speakers.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

The only related setting I saw in the bios was speaker volume, but that was already set to 0. Also, the popping sound continued while I was on the bios screen, leading me to believe that I may have to fix this issue on the hardware. I've never opened a laptop before. Anyone know if this is going to be possible.... like if I just need to set a jumper somewhere or something?

yeah, the sony site is pretty much useless. No real technical docmentation there, no user forum that I can see either. If anyone's curious the model number is v505ac.

hah, boy am I an idiot. I'll just plug in head phones all the time. that seemed to solve it pretty quick. Much better than searching around for jumpers... though not quite as fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back