Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disable Renaming of Printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SQLWilts

Programmer
Feb 12, 2001
GB
Hi,

I am implementing a W2K rollout and wish to disable the renaming of printers. I know that it can be done, as I've seen it on other PCs. With the others, rename does not appear on the right click context menu neither does F2 work. Can someone please let me know how on earth I can do this.

Many thanks

Right-click on the printer and choose Properties. Click on the Security tab and click on DENY under MANAGE PRINTERS for that user group. That should do it. Michael
BASD IS/IT Dept

I beleive,You can only rename a local printer on windows2000, so if the printer is set up as a network printer, there is no way to rename it.

Hummm I think that if the user has administrative permission on the remote computer, he can rename it, am I right?

Thanks for your help.
Fmancini, you are right. The printer that I want to rename is a network printer and thats why it wont allow me to rename it.
MontrealSoft, sorry but I am a domain admin and cannot rename a network printer. Ho hum

In fact you're right TonyWhite, but if, at some time, you need it to work:
Launch REGEDIT:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers"

You will find keys (folders) representing each of your printers here.

Open one of the keys (folders) and look for a String called "Name"

Change the value of "Name" to be whatever you want.

Reboot.

However, the printer will not show up as a network printer anymore, but that is just a cosmetic change to the icon, it will still function properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back