Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disable Remote Desktop login 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolecho

Programmer
Jun 19, 2007
US
Hello,
Is there a command or utility that can temporarily disable login/access to the shared drive and Remote Desktop Clients?

Thanks,

are you talking about your/a single machine, or domain wide?

Neil J Cotton
Technical Consultant
Anix Group Ltd

On the machine you want to disable remote desktop

Right click My Computer > Properties > Remote > deselect "Allow users to remotely connect to this computer"

On the machine you want to disable file sharing

Right click My Network Places > Properties > select and right click on the active connection, either Local Area Connection or Wireless Connection etc > Properties > General > deselect File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks.

These both assume you have the correct priviledges on the system to do these.

Neil J Cotton
Technical Consultant
Anix Group Ltd

I am intending to disallow remote login while I am in a remote login session. Can I do this while i am remotely logged in?

Thanks

Not as such, but in that properties window, you can define a single user to allow access. If left empty, allows all users to connect, once populated, only members or member groups in that list are allowed. If you are using an account that other people have access to (so a group account like Administrator etc), you could create a new random user in AD, just for this, that no one else would use. Connections made that can not provide the login details of the account you created/listed, will be rejected.

Neil J Cotton
Technical Consultant
Anix Group Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back