Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disable "Set as wallpaper" in IE 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andronium

MIS
Jan 4, 2001
US
I have a group of public use PCs that I have locked down using policy editor. I have the display changes disabled, but that doesn't keep people from setting the wallpaper to a picture in Internet Explorer by right-clicking on a picture and hitting "set as wallpaper". Can anyone suggest a way to prevent this?

I would check the Internet Explorer administration kit to see if there is a policy file for IE. That should give you all the options you need. If all else fails, you could write a custom adm file to use with the policy editor.

As a quick fix, you could specify a small image (company logo, or even just a screen color) to use as your wallpaper that gets copied down every time a user logs in. So even if they manage to set the wallpaper, next time they log in it would be gone.

Also, do you have a written policy (signed by employees) specifying that this kind of behavior is not allowed? I had some trouble with the forwarding of huge non-work-related files via email until I "reminded" all employees about our policy regarding the appropriate use of technology.

I would check the Internet Explorer administration kit to see if there is a policy file for IE. That should give you all the options you need. If all else fails, you could write a custom adm file to use with the policy editor.

As a quick fix, you could specify a small image (company logo, or even just a screen color) to use as your wallpaper that gets copied down every time a user logs in. So even if they manage to set the wallpaper, next time anyone logs in it would be gone.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try the administration kit... never used it before so I'll have to play with it I guess. I am already using the "quick-fix" idea, but would like to disable it completely.

Unfortunately, it's not employees I'm having a problem with. These computers are accessible to the entire public, so aside from watching over their shoulder, there's not much I can do to keep them from trying to change things.

sorry - I realized that these were public access after the first post, and when I tried to repost this site wouldn't respond.

here's the link for the IEAK:

Apparently once you've installed it, you can go into policy editor, click on import, and look for the adm file under the IEAK policies folder. I couldn't find specifically what's in that adm. In the index search under "restrictions, setting" - there is some general info.

Basically the kit will let you build a custom installation which you can roll out to these machines (like if you want to put special links on the toolbars, security zones, etc). But the adm may simply let you keep the install the way it is & just modify the user interaction with it.

I have the same problem at a college library. I resorted to the following soultion:

use a resource editor (I used a Shareware package called Restorator) and edit the following file:

C:\WINNT\System32\shdoclc.dll

Delete all the lines which read "set as wallpaper".

(it is a good idea to keep a copy of the unmodified .dll file so you can always restore the file if the modification doesn't work).

When a user clicks on the file menu, the option to save as wallpaper is not displayed.

This also works on MSPAINT.EXE, again by removing the "set as wallpaper" option from the file menu.

Hope this helps.

Barrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back