Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disable Power Key 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

clevelandjwb

Programmer
May 18, 2004
US
This is actually an XP Home problem but I do not see a forum for that so I have asked the question here since the solution, if available, might be the same.

The keyboard I am using has a power key. If this key is pressed while the system is running it very soon won't be. My problem is that this key is right above the pause key which I use frequently. Three times this week I have hit the wrong key and turned my system off (without saving some current activity).

Is there any way to disable this key?

John

my first idea is .. pop off the key..

my second idea is that you may have driver/software that you installed when you first got the keyboard.. you may be able to disable hotkeys or programable keys.. look in your control pannel.. or a program may be running in your notification area associated with your keyboards hotkey function..

Hope that helps!

Any changes if you set an option via Control Panel/ Power Options/ Advanced "When I press the power button on my computer"? This may also have control over the keyboard button?

Specifies whether your computer takes an action (for example, goes into a low-power state) when you press the Power button.

Are the any similar options in the Keyboard under Control Panel?

If you don't like the keyboard you could always replace it.

Keyboard mappings.

The Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator

The key was control panel. The options were easy to find and now I don't have to worry about that problem any more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back