Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disable Phising through Active directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdfdr78

Technical User
Jul 19, 2005
Hi there,

We are currently runnig IE 7.0 on our domain and are having problems with phishing, can someone tell me how to disable this on the domain through AD?

Thanks Richard

You have to install the MSI package on the AD controller? then apply the settings?

I haven't installed that msi before but thats what the instructions say. The inetres.adm file is 2Mb so i would say that the msi just contains that.

Alternativly you can just get the adm from the c:\WINDOWS\inf directory on any PC that has IE7 installed.

Ok i just installed it and it placed the .adm file in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Group Policy

The file is there but how do you go about configuring the settings?

Place the file in the Windows\inf directory and then you need to add it to the GPO where you will apply the settings.

Or you can install the admin tools on an XP SP2 PC and the adm will be automatically updated when you view the policy.

A couple of good links on the subject

I`ve done the below however i can not see the where to configure the setting when going into Group Policy on the domain.
Will it matter if the AD controller does not have IE 7 installed?

help appreciated

Place the file in the Windows\inf directory and then you need to add it to the GPO where you will apply the settings.

Open the GPO then look under User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Internet Explorer: You will find a policy there called 'Turn off managing phishing filter' i think you can turn it off with that.

Hi there,

There is a turn off managing Phishing filter to which you can enable and turn the mode to no, I haev given this a go and will let you know how i get on.

Thanks for the help

With realtion to this i placed the file in the windows/inf folder on the AD Domain controller.
There is now a Turn off managing phishing filter, however this is to do with user interaction when IE 7 is first run this does not actullay disable it and to stop user interaction with it?

When i set this policy the option to turn on the phishing filter is dimmed out and there is only the check manually option available.

There maybe an issue here as it hasn`t worked will investiogate and come back to you.

Again thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back