Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disable Internet Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffbobst

IS-IT--Management
Jun 18, 2003
US
Does anyone know how to disable Internet browsing using group policy in Active Directory?

I thought I had done it, by restricting iexplorer.exe in the "Don't run specified windows applications". But, I found that a user can open up a MS Word document, and type and click on it to launch a browser.

I have searched all through group policy options and searched many web sites, but I can't seem to find out how to do this cleanly. I would think companies all over the place would want to have such an option to restrict employees from browsing. I realize this can probably be done on a firewall device, but in my case I really need to be able to accomplsih this through group policy.

Thanks.
Jeff

This is going to be a fairly difficult task because Microsoft has integrated everything with everything else. A user could also use Windows Explorer to get to a website. I think the answer lies in finding some network way to stop internet access. Users can always find some other software that is internet-enabled to get online.

- Zoe, that's ZOH-EEE, get it right please
- Just a little ol' MCP at Solien Technology
-

Have you tried the Don't run specified Windows applications?

This is located in the user configuration\administrative templates\system :- Don't run specified Windows applications

From here you can put c:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE into the list.

Another way is by disabling the RUN command. That way if they type the address in the bar, it will not allow it to run.

Cheers,
Kaine

You may have many options. If you use domain network you ma want to create group policy; if you have workgroup network, tryy local policy. You may manage the internet access by using the router. Also, you may modify the internet settings. For more tips or information, go to
Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network and How to at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back