Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disable Insert/Delete rows 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

z07924

IS-IT--Management
Feb 18, 2002
GB
In excel, is there a way to prevent inserting or deleting rows within a range of rows??? thanks in advance...

thanks. protecting the sheet will not work because...
I want to prevent insert/delete only in a range of rows..for eg from row 5 to 10...don't allow insert/delete...but anywhere else on the sheet I want to allow the user to insert rows...any help would be appreciated.

You can do that by UNCHECKING the Format/Cells/Protection Locked Property of all cells EXCEPT those in the rows you want to protect and then setting sheet protection.

Skip,
Skip@TheOfficeExperts.com

I tried that. But didn't work. Once I set the Sheet protection I am not able to insert rows anywhere in the sheet...

Ah,

You do not have Excel 2002. Versions less than 2002 cannot do stuff that you can in 2002.

Sorry. You're stuck with not being able to prevent inserting/deleting rows.

The only thing that you might consider is creating a shadow sheet (very hidden) that you keep identical to this sheet. On the Worksheet_Change event, you compare the two sheets and if your row range has changed, put things back as they were.

Skip,
Skip@TheOfficeExperts.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back