Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disable Hard Reset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

apex1x

IS-IT--Management
Aug 14, 2002
US
Hi

I was wondering if it were possible to somehow disable the ability to do a factory reset (hold reset for 10 seconds) on a Dlink Di-524 router. Is there a way to purposefully corrupt the firmware or any other options?

I find it annoying when users have an issue with their router and factory reset it, removing all the options I set.

Thanks

I like to think of things like Krazy Glue a piece of plastic over the hole or remove the button from the switch...things that can be undone...rather than "break" the firmware. Having a reset button can be a godsend, or conversely NOT having a reset switch can be H311.

My Vonage modem is an oldie-goldie without a reset switch...I reconfigured it to NOT be a DHCP server and now I can't access its firmware at all...I WISH it had a reset switch, but it doesn't. Better to have a reset switch and not need it than to need one and not have it [smile].

Tony

Users helping Users...

I'm dealing with a $30 router so it's not a big deal if I break it. Is there a way to remove the backed up firmware (that loads on a hard reset) ?

I would think a daub of Krazy Glue or epoxy on the button would have the same effect...sorry no experience with (intentionally) breaking stuff here. Just guessing, but I doubt that their equivalent of a CMOS chip is removable. That costs extra, putting a part in a removable socket.

Tony

Users helping Users...

if the switch is soldered on the PCB, then desolder it...

if the switch has cables, then cut cable...

other than that you would need to know the code and the jump adresses when the switch is kicked, to be able to lead the software back to the jump point... but most are HARDWIRED into the PCB, which then will wipe an EPROM (or NVRAM) where all the settings are stored... imo

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

I'd probably just put a drop of hot glue in the hole (making sure, of course, that I wasn't pressing the button down with the glue! [rofl])

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

Melt wax in hole or use hot glue gun. Even Elmers could fill the hole. Use Spackle to fill it in. Put some of that Silicone Caulk in the hole and smooth it out.

The problem is what happens if you want to use it in an emergency or sell it.

You might try taking a hole punch and punching out a little circle on a plastic document cover and then gluing that very carefully over the little hole. That way it would look like it was not there but it would be there anyway. Something else might be one of those art erasers made of putty or what we call sticky tack and just fill the hole. After a while it would appear to be a hard surface but it could probably be removed in an emergency. Play dough would do the same.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back