Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

disable bootstrap print Legato

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahalingam1

IS-IT--Management
Dec 7, 2007
Hi all,

I want disable the bootstrap print on my Legato backup server

Anyone can help me??

I believe you just need to change the Action in Bootstrap Notification - this info is important for Disaster Recovery so you may prefer to email it - on Unix we use the Action -/usr/ucb/mail -s "Bootstrap for <backup_server>" <mail.address@your.domain>.

hello julianbarnett;

Thank you very much for your quick response.

One question: if i disable the print and mail notifications about bootstrap, is this informatión storaged in the tape of the backup pool?

Can i get this information from the tape?

Thanks and regards

The bootstrap records are saved to tape - the notification just tells you where the most recent bootstraps are - tape and file position on tape. Imagine your networker server has a disk crash and you lose the entire /nsr partition. In order to recover you need to reinstall the networker software and then get the config back. The bootstrap file on tape contains that config and is the first point of recovery - having recovered the bootstrap you restart the service and are now able to use the tape libraries etc. to recover the media and client file indexes. With no record of where the most recent bootstrap is located you are ... (choose your own term!). Hence you need to keep a record - and preferably somewhere other than the backup server - email is good. If you save the bootstrap notification to local disk on the Networker server you are still at risk if the server suffers data corruption.

julianbarnett, Thank you for your explanation

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back