Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disable Automatic Links In Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shake412

Programmer
Apr 17, 2002
GB
When opening a spreadsheet containing links to other spreadsheets a message box appears asking the user whether they want to update this workbook with changes made to the other workbook, giving the option to update all linked information (Yes) or to keep all existing information (No).

Does anyone know how save a spreadsheet so that, on opening, this dialog doesn't show and the spreadsheet defaults to 'No'.

I'm specifically talking about Charts automatically created and transfered to a 2nd workbook for distribution. The source data cannot transfered which is why I have the linkage.

This has worked for me before, not sure if it will work for you.

If you need to preserve the original links, save the file with a different name. Then go to Edit, Links and change the source to itself.

Worth a try.

The trouble is I'm using charts that use an underlying table for the source data. These charts then get automatically broken out onto different spreadsheets and then sent by e-mail and I can't programmatically transfer the source data and update links to the new data.

ANy ideas

This works for me in ’97.

You can put the following in an auto open macro.

Application.DisplayAlerts = False

This will turn off all alerts so you may want to reset it to true later.

bandit600

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back