Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

direcway 6000 and linksys router problems 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcbiker

Technical User
Oct 17, 2003
US
the new DW 6000 from direcway now uses ethernet to connect. i hve readthe threads about using ICS with the old direcway USB solutions but now i am searching for a solution with my old linksys etherfast dsl/cable router which i hd been happily using for my dsl connection.

my dw 6000 talks to one of my pcs running win98SE connecting to a network card. no sooftware is installed on the pc.

but when i connect the 6000 to the WAN port of the router, the PC canot get through ... i have tried using the sme settings as with dsl and also i tried after disabling DHCP on the router and setting the mode on the router to router since the 6000 serves as a gateway.

any pointers??

Disable DHCP on the router, set it to "Router" and not Gateway mode.

The DirecWay connection is to a regular LAN port, and not the WAN Port.

You need to assign static IPs, 192.168.0.3 and upwards, subnet 255.255.255.0, with a Gateway IP of 192.168.0.1, and a DNS setting of 192.168.0.1 for all machines.

you say the dw6000 is a regular LAN connection on the router? does that mean that nothing plugs into the WAN port ofthe router?

the other settings seem logical and i will try them.

thanks

lo and behold, all is well ... using the router in the way suggested above - disabling DHCP, setting its LAN IP to be in the modems required range, and changing the mode from gateway to router - no changes on the client computer which finds its IP automatically - and connectingt he modem and the client to a regular LAN port on the router does the trick.

now to get my wireless working with the WAP. thanks much.

well i connected a linksys WAP and the installation ofthe WAP and the WAP adapter went according to linksys script ...

the WAP works in that on the computer connected wirelessly i can share the internet connection ... that is fine ... but the 2 computers on the network cannot see one another ... any ideas on the reason??

The WAP should have DHCP disabled, and instucted to pull addresses from the ethernet side.

If that way works for you guys, that's great. I got mine to work totally different, using the linksys in gateway mode. I tried your way and I couldn't get it to work.

On the Linksys setup page, I chose internet connection type:Static IP. IP addres is 69.35.163.206 Subnet mask is 255.255.255.252. Default gateway is 69.35.163.205. DNS 198.77.116.8

Of course, the DHCP settings are disabled.

Then I set all computers' TCP/IP settings with static IP addresses, with the subnet mask 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway at 192.168.1.1, and DNS 198.77.116.8

The thread starter dcbiker did not have static IP class service.

This is an additional fee service and not available at all direcway locations.

I am a little confused I routed a dw6000 system totaly different than both of you using a lynksys wirless B router. All I did was go in to the router setup page set it to router. and turn off the DHCP and there it was every thing came up and all computers could connect. I atried this later with a wireless G router and it would not work any clues.

Update the firmware on the WRT54G. Current firmware is wrt54g_1.42.2_fw.exe 10/21/2003

One early release would not set router instead of Gateway properly, even when set to do so in setup. One early firmware would not do router mode, remaining in Gateway mode even when instructed in setup not to do so.

Update: ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/

do you have anywhere you can direct me where I can get specific directions on setting up the wireless B Router for the D-way system. I know Dway but am still new to the networking area.
Thanks

Hi. New to tek-tips. Hopefully this thread has not gone cold.

I have direcway with a static IP and Linksys 4 port router. All the above info is useful. Just a couple of questions - Do I plug the DW6000 into the WAN port of the Linksys? Should the router be in "gateway" mode if I'm using a static IP address? Should I set the LAN address on the router to 192.168.1.1?

This installation is about 200 miles from my home and does not have phone access, so I'm trying to get equipped before trying again. Direcway support is not helpful.

Thanks

well if you use the dcbiker/bcaster approach - and while i don't have a static IP i suspect that it should work - you can use gateway mode for the router, using LAN address 192.168.0.1 using the orbout approach might be better in which case the router mode is used with the 192.168.1.1 address.

in either case the DW6000 uses a regular LAN connection. it is not surprising that direcway tech support is of no use. i have had interactions with them where they tell me that i 'must have their software running on my computer so i should find the big D to click on to find its status' - of course with the DW6000 you do not have any of their software running!

In the case of a static IP then see the instructions earlier by member orbout on November 15, 2003 above. This is a different case than the dynamic IP one that began this thread.

. The router is enabled for DHCP, and in Gateway mode
. The connection is to the WAN port
. The router is set to a connection type of Static IP, and the information from Direcway is then entered on the first page of the router setup program.
. The default settings for the router as to its LAN IP (192.168.1.1) .etc will all be fine.
. Your clients should be set to "Obtain an IP address automaticly"

Thanks guys for the quick response.

I'm hooking in a Panasonic Web Camera for security and it requires a static IP from the router and port forwarding.

It looks like Linksys requires that DHCP be disabled for port forwarding to be activated, which is a bummer because I'd like to just set up the camera on static IP and let the other clients go DHCP. Not a huge deal.

Linksys does NOT require DHCP to be deactivated to use port forwarding.

The manual states the issue poorly. It is recommended that for port forwarding you do so to static IPs. Why? because with dynamic IPs you cannot gaurantee the device entered in the port forwarding table will always recieve the same IP.

But it works fine with DHCP enabled, and a mix of static and dynamic IPs.

Trust me.

I appreciate all the info up to this point I couldnt get my router to work with my dw6000.
Yet I still have a problem...

My WPC54G does not see my WRT54G. I have the DW line in regular lan port, and have the settings as specified by bcastner/dcbiker threads. XP home, running on both computers.

are there different settings, or some more specific settings for my case. I can use the WRT54G as the WAP right?

TIA
Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back