Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DirectX8 on Windows NT in VC++6

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAW

Programmer
Nov 14, 2001
US
From my subject, you may have noticed that it's a nonsense for me to say DirectX8 on NT as NT only has DirectX3 ( if that ) I'm running Windows NT 4.0/ SP6... now:-

1, Is developement with DirectX possible/practical on Windows NT should I develop on '98?

2, If so, why do I keep getting errors like: couldnt "read" memory.. blah blah blah - this also happens when I just try to run a directX application or the DXDiag utility..

Thanks for you help,

Kenneth Wright

Why not develop it for 98/ME/Win2k?

Windows 2000 Kicks some MAKJOR butt, plus I'm sure you'll have all the tools you need (DX8 on here!)...but hey, the 9x Kernel is going down the drain, (in a couple years), so I would suggest at least making it compatable w/ 2k. ----------------------------------------
The Learning process is just a way to get rid of all the stupids in your head.

Now where's that cute little kitten? :-X

A good library is OpenGL. John Fill
1c.bmp

ivfmd@mail.md

True, I didn't think of that...:-D

OpenGL could support all you want...Hey John...you ever try those alternate file stream tests I posted? ----------------------------------------
The Learning process is just a way to get rid of all the stupids in your head.

Now where's that cute little kitten? :-X

LOL Do you think I've got nothing else to do? I'm a member since september but you since Jun 26, 2001. Did you think what since I was a member my dream was to contradict you? John Fill
1c.bmp

ivfmd@mail.md

cheers guys. Not all the information I required but it's a start...

I'm not a microsoft fan and developement on any windows platform is my idea of a bad time. I only asked about NT because that is what i've been supplied with at work and I don't want to cause a hassle if I don't have to...

Anyway, from everything I've read it does indeed sound like I'll have to develop on '98, and since i'm using DirectX, It will be compatible w/ 2K.

thanks anyway,

ps, what language do you program in?!?

You can write DX8 under NT4 all day long, you just can't execute. I've done work with NT4 and DX3 (keep in mind components of DX under NT4 are as as high as 6.1) using directdraw and direct3d immediate mode and had good results.

To contrast the OpenGL conversation, *TRUE* GL is NOT supported under NT4, you're stuck using the MS OpenGL which has its limitations as well. Card and driver caps are the largest issue I've run into. My NT server's card runs DX just fine and doesn't do GL for beans. It is a server! :)

I code DX8 under NT4 all the time. Primarily because I also do my 3dsmax and photoshop work under NT.

As for the 98/2000 situation. All of my DX programs are fully functional under both so writing *for* one or the other really is a non issue, the graphics card (drivers) and proper coding are the issues.

Good luck.
B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back