Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DirectX and C++?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naits

Programmer
Oct 10, 2001
NO
Can you make DirectX programs/games with just c++ or do you need Visual C++? and where can I find some tutorials?

Naits,
MSVC is recommended - from what I've read some code in DX is
VC specific but ... you should be able to get by with Borland.
I'm looking forward to getting more advanced (DX8) books soon, but SAMS "teach yourself DirectX7 in 24 hours" was well worth the investment and this or a similar book is a must if you're gonna program directX.
- TJ

A book I am currently finding helpful is "Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus" by Andre LaMothe. It doesn't go into 3D programming and it's a bit more on the expensive side, but it is definitely worth the price. But I also would suggest "teach yourself DirectX7 in 24 hours".

I also found a series of tutorials at ultimategameprogramming.com they take you from the beginning of C++ to mastering DirectX and OpenGL. You can start wherever you're at now and move forward.

Anywho...hope this helps,
Da Stopher

Stopher and Naits,
Andre LeMothe is a good source of "game" programming. I try to pick up as many of his books as I can. "His Black Art of 3D game programming" is pretty good as far as it goes, but
It doesn't go into DirectX either. Another way to go on this is opengl. I think there's a site with the url of the same name. You might check opengl.com I thank that's it. A lot of source code there.

I also appreciate the link to UGP thank you.
- TJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back