Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Directory Properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camper66

Technical User
Jul 25, 2008
CA
Good morning,

To share a directory or files, I usually simply right click the directory and change the share properties.

In the "programs" directory the check boxes to allow sharing are dimmed.

There is a message at the bottom of the tab that reads " All options on this tab are disabled because they are because this folder is being used by the operating system"

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you doing this with an Administrator account?

Usually special folders that Windows deems necessary to run are protected form regular users.

So you'd need to be an Administrator, likely al;so make sure you have the correct rights tot he folder also.

Now the question is why do you want to share that folder?

Applications in the folder will normally not be able to be copied or run from another PC unless they are properly installed, since they make changes to registry and other areas that are required for them to run.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Hi Vacunita and thank you,

I am logged and appear to have Administrator rights.

The reason I want to share this folder, is to ( this may illustrate my ignorance) share the Thunderbird email program and files.

Try sharing the Thunderbird folder itself instead, but as i said:

Applications in the folder will normally not be able to be copied or run from another PC unless they are properly installed, since they make changes to registry and other areas that are required for them to run.

You can try of course, but there's no guarantee the application will run.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back