Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

directory not avabile randomly Windows 2000 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

foribiteyou

IS-IT--Management
Oct 23, 2002
US
I have an Windows 2000 server with active dir installed and exchange. Every thing seems to work fine but every once in a wile some strange things happen. You will have a dir on the server open with a nother computer and it will close, or if you are copping a file to a drive on the server it will come back with the directory is not a avabile. This does not happen all the time but it does happen offten a nof that it is driving me up the WALL!!! I have gotten to a point I am about ready to put up a FreeBSD server just to handle data files on my network, but this would be a real pain to do. (lot of data no where to put it wile I make the change). Any help would be GRATE!! for I am dumb founded....

Is your sever behind a router?

The server is a DHCP, DNS, WEB, E-mail, and storage hooked to a swich, all the other computers are hooked to the same swich. Standered setup I belive. There is a fire wall that leads to the out side, but all the problems I am having are with the computers talking to each other on the inside.

Is the server using it's own DNS server for DNS? In other words, is the DNS setting in the TCP/IP setup set to the same IP address as the server's IP address?

I have had problems with connections when I was using the DNS of my ISP rather than the DNS of the Primary Domain Controller.

I have the DNS set to the same IP as the server is. Sever is 192.168.0.1 and the dns is set to 192.168.0.1. :( It has to be some thing simple that I am doing wrong. All the paches are installed and all most every thing I have looked at seems to be fine. But still the same problems...

It may be a problem with your switch - do you have another or a hub to test with it for a while?

Have you rebooted the switch at all?

Also - how do you resolve the problem normally - reboot the server?

I have tryed it with 2 diffent swiches with the same problem. Thought it mite be the network card but it seems funny that it just started doing this out of the blue and the card is not that old.

Whe the dirtory closes out you can just reopen it with no problem but it may close out on you agine, and it starts to be like a game of how fast you can coppy your file or find what you need before you lose that dir.

When you coppy some thing to a dir on that server and get the error that the dir is no longer avable normaly I just try a few more times and it will coppy.

I have allso tryed restarting the server and that realy did not help. It just seems to be random when it starts doing this. Over the past few days I have knotice that if you coppy more than 1 file to it at a time it is more prone to give you the dir is not avable but I do not know if it is because the amount of data or that it takes more time to get the info there and more of a chance to give you the error.

Just a thought: could it have anything to do with the traffic on the network? Does it make a difference whether you copy the files during peak hours or after hours?

Another thought: could you try pinging the server with the
Code:
ping -t #
command (Control-C stops it)? This might help you know for sure the connections are constant.

Just some ideas--brainstorming.

On the nasty pc's, (assuming it's just a few and not all radomly) throw a batchfile together and when the user has a problem have them run it.

cls
ipconfig /all
pause

Have them call you or go check it. You could do another with

cls
route print
pause

and study those to check connectivity.

What the hey

cls
pint 198.2.0.1
pause

Simple troubleshooting is where I like to start. Good luck. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"What really happens is trivial in comparison to what could occur."
Robert von Musil (1880-1942); Austrian author.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back