Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Directory names with trailing space

Status
Not open for further replies.

srentzel

Programmer
Mar 17, 2002
US
I have some directories on my NT server that have a trailing blank in their name. I have Admin privs, but can not rename, or delete these directories. Can anyone tell ne how I can get rid og these? I have tried deleting or renaming them in a DOS window, but that did not work either.

Regards,

Sharon

Hi,

I got that problem some months back. I suggest that you right click on the file, and take the ownership and permissions ( Choose Full control ). Click on Apply and then try to change them or delete them.

I hope your problem will be solved.

Regards.
Salim

That does not work in this case. Even tried to del and rename using DOS window commands and it can not find the file. Put it in quotes "com1 ". Any other ideas on how to get rid of these??

Are these directories on a FAT system or NTFS ? What version is the NT Server ? Have you got the latest service Packs ? What is the location of these folders ( e.g. C:Winnt\System......etc, etc, ) Is this folder being shared with other users ?

I need some other info so that i can figure out what's happening on your system.

Ensure that the directories are empty, then from a CMD prompt try this:

RD "DIRNAME "

but instead of hitting the spacebar for the space, hold down ALT and type 255. Then close your quotes. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Sorry, the 255 has to be typed in from the number pad, not from the normal keyboard numbers -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

I am running NT 4.0, sp 6, and the disk is NTFS. I tried putting a "255" using your instructions above, and the directory can not be located. The structure is:

d:\....\pub\COM1 \Scan&TAG\AUX \=by=\ThulsaDooM\for \r3load\386219784 \386333167 \386360567 \386367527 \386369099

None of the directories contain any files, just other sub directories....

Any other ideas?

Sharon

If I read the above example correctly, you're haveing problems because COM1 is a serial device name that gets searched before any directories. I'm not sure where to go with this to help you, but just knowing the problem might help you or someone else think of a solution. I'll keep thinking about it and drop another note if I find a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back