Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Directory feature wierdness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phonia

Programmer
Sep 13, 2002
US
Okay, here's a stumper on my G3i R10. Any idea why my directory seems to bypass 90% of the extensions? For instance, when I hit "dir" and type in "8 6 5" (for TOL) I can't find TOLHURST, MARK? Instead I can get LITERALLY anything from T to Z and names that I don't even see in my extension list.

Is there a feature I'm supposed to reinitialize or something? This is driving me batty.
Phonia
Telecom Goddess

Phonia,

Are you sure you have a comma separating the names and not a fullstop (US; period)? If there are certain charachters in the name field it will be ignored by the Directory.

If you have ASA/DSA you can import a change to all the name fields and make sure the format is correct. If you need help with this let me know.

Hope this helps,

Ronster

Nope, believe me I've been doing this on many PBXs for several years, and I've never seen this. I imported using ASA using the following standard practices -- for people:

LAST, FIRST

or conference rooms:

CONF RM, LARGE

And standard for non-people (modems, faxes, etc.):

*MODEM, INTUITY
(* to keep the name out of the directory)

The especial wierdness is that I can scroll through and hit asterisked line items and not actual people.

Why this isn't working I can't tell -- in the past, once I've updated the name field everything has just fallen into place. On this PBX, most names just fail. UGH. Phonia
Telecom Goddess

The definity directory does not work as you describe it, it doesn't recognize that 8 6 5 is TOL it recognizes the T then it searches within T for an M then it searches off the second digit M for a J. Correct me if I'm wrong but this has always been my understanding. Also, an * won't keep a name out of the directory a ~ will.

Actually, entering 865 from within the directory performs a search based upon the following parameters:

first character = T or U or V or 8
AND
second character = M or N or O or 6
AND
third character = J or K or L or 5

Any non-alpha/non-numeric character will keep a name out of the directory; I've also seen ! and ' successfully used.

Phonia, this does sound especially strange. Have you tried Ronster's suggestion of using ASA to export the information and look at what you have? Maybe just exporting and then turning around and importing the names will be enough to correct the problem.

Susan
Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer. - Mark Twain

That was my first step -- export the stations, then import the changes. I also tried manually changing the listings. No go thus far. Phonia
Telecom Goddess

Learn something new every day, I've never really used the directory because I find it to be a pain.

Well, I think it's a great feature and I worked hard to ensure that all of this data was updated...why this is failing stymies me. Phonia
Telecom Goddess

Yes, Directory is a great feature which NEVER goes wrong! I don't know how you've managed to break it Phonia? ;-)

Maybe the tables are corrupt. You would need someone to look at the filesystem. Probably best to get in touch with Avaya. Are there any errors (disp err) which may give a clue?

Ronster
Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your weekend.

Good idea. I'll take a look. Phonia
Telecom Goddess

thats the way mine works, if i touch 2 i get all the extensions that begin with A B C or the number 2. If I hit 3 get all the extensions that begin with D E F or the number 3....

Phonia - let us know what you learn/find out. I can't imagine not being able to rely on the Directory feature!

Susan
Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer. - Mark Twain

If you add a ~ in front of the last name it will hide it in the directory.

I've never had a problem with the asterisk (*) hiding directory entries before -- I'm just feeling like there's some kind of bug somewhere in the software, hence the failure in finding all the "beginning with ABC entries" when hitting "2."

As a side note, apparently the Avaya tech who installed the system was on drugs (literally) so maybe he made some feature-level adjustment that I can't find or don't know to look for...or perhaps we have a virus making its way through the system. May have to bite the bullet and call Avaya tech support. Phonia
Telecom Goddess

Hi! We use G3V6, but in directory only local extensions using. In the further version is possible use directory for external stations? Or use the name-number map. I like that :when coming an external call with the number from the public phone network, the Definity comparing the number, and the names from a directory, and if found a name that will write on the display phone? Is it a dream? (Another PBX like siemens, alcatel, ericsson, etc.... have this features ...)

Yeah, the directory only works for extensions in the local PBX. Phonia
Telecom Goddess

On my system, preceeding the name with either * or ~ works to hide the name from the directory.
On a slightly related note, is there a way to view the directory while using ASA? (It's viewable while onsite, using a display-capable phone set, but it would be very handy to be able to list the directory of users from the command line.)
Thanks.
Doug Frith
Accord Communications

Phonia - Any luck in getting the directory to work? I'm REALLY curious to learn how someone could break the unbreakable! ;-) Susan

No, not yet. Still working...ugh Phonia
Telecom Goddess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back