Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Director TWGServer - 'SLP init error'

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronnie001

Technical User
Jan 10, 2002
AU
Hi All,

I have installed IBM Director onto a server here but after installation I am not able to sucessfully start Director.

I recieve the following message in the event log:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: TWGServer
Event Category: Application Error
Event ID: 101
Date: 20/09/2005
Time: 12:40:06 PM
User: N/A
Computer: TOOLS01
Description:
Application Error
Application: 'TWGServer (TWGVersion 4.20 2004-10-05 build id 538)'
Error Code: 17
Error Message: 'SLP init error'

Does anyone have any ideas what would cause this issue? Or where is good resource for Director problems.

Help!

Cheers,

Ronnie

Did you ever figure this out? We are having the same issue and there appears to be very little info regarding it. We are running the same build too. Thanks.

The TWGServer.err log shows this:

Application Error:
Time: Thu Mar 09 11:28:15 PST 2006
Application: TWGServer (TWGVersion 4.20 2004-10-05 build id 538)
Op Sys: Windows 2003
Error Code: 17
Error Message: SLP init error
Stack Trace: com.tivoli.twg.engine.slp.ServiceLocationException: network initialization error: java.net.SocketException: Cannot bind (code=10013)
at com.tivoli.twg.engine.slp.ServiceLocation.initialize(ServiceLocation.java:95)
at com.tivoli.twg.engine.slp.ServiceLocation.initialize(ServiceLocation.java:70)
at com.tivoli.twg.engine.TWGServer.run(TWGServer.java:348)

I figured it out. In our case, there was another service running that was conflicting with the ports that IBM Director uses. You can use netstat (or TCPView from SysInternals) to find the conflicting service and stop it.

Hope this can save someone time in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back