Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Direction on how to publish vb.net app 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksbigfoot

Programmer
Apr 15, 2002
CA
I am calling my vb.net app from a batch file. The batch file calls a module within my vb.net app which starts off the whole process.

Just wondering what you would suggest on what the vb.net app should run as?

Do I just take the files that are in my \bin\Release\ folder and use those files? I don't know if there is a benefit of using a webservice or something like that over this way.

Is this to simple a question? I publish my code and I get an .exe file and some other files. People deploying don't like just clicking on a .exe file. Is there a different way to publish a vb.net app other than a .exe file?

You can use Click Once Deployment. Read this:

-OR-

You can create a setup project to do a traditional Windows installation. Read this:

I encourage you read about both of those to understand what they are and what the differences are. If one of them seems like what you are looking for, then give it a go. And if you have any specific questions once you pick your method, this forum is a great place for those types of questions.

Are ClickOnce and Windows Installer Deployment the only two options for deployment? I can't use ClickOnce as we have a group that does the deployments. The group that does the deployments don't like .exe files as they can't tell what is being created.

Howdy RiverGuy,

I am using VS 2005. I gave you a star as you pointed me in the right direction to read more.

Thanks
ksbigfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back