Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Directed recover

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpj

Technical User
Apr 29, 2001
NO
Hello All - I am new to Legato, and have been told that I can use directed recover to move data that was backed up on one clint (not local) to any another which has the networker software installed. Currently using this feature I can view all my source clients, but can only view a destination client if I have selected that client as a source. In other words I only view my local machine and one other clent depending on what I selected as source, on the destination window. I have read some other threads on this subject, and the machines in question are legato administrators and also are listed in all the clients remote access fields. I have also read somewhere that the clients need these machines in the servers file under \nsr\res but this seems like a high admin overhead.
I have also read legato documentation &quot;ntlegacy.pdf&quot; that to have access to the directed recover and save set recover commands, you must start the networker user program in administrator mode - using -a option. The only option I can use starting winworkr.exe is -s <BackupServer>.
My enviroment is;
Legato ver. 6.1.1
Windows 2000-SP2/NT4-SP6a
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Modifying the servers file would be the easiest to manage. You could have a master file and replicate it across the clients that need it.

In my mind there are four types of directed recovery senarios with the GUI.
1) Logged onto the target system and restore the backup from another source system.
2) Logged onto the backup server and push a restore by selecting the source and destination client as the target.
3) Logged onto the backup server and select a source client and select the backup server as the destination. Directed local restore.
4) Perfrom a straight restore to client by running the GUI from your desktop and select source and destination as the target system.
No. 1 is the only way to do what I call a cross client restore. I think that this is what you want to do. All have ramifications involving remote access and the servers file.

Servers file...

Here's a trick that you can use with 6.x. The installation method changed with 6.x and you can now put your own custom servers file into the installation package so that any client that is installed gets a standard servers file. Put all of your backup servers into a servers file and put it into the WINNT\networkr\program files\nsr\res directory. This would of course be a network installation. Any new systems that are built and installed will be ready to go.

You could also write a simple CMD to rollout updated servers files to existing clients.

-Almo

You are correct that No. 4 in my previous thread is high maintenance for the servers file. For that reason, we use No. 1 with terminal server or a remote console software like PC-DUO. If you use a standard servers file as mentioned you will never need to update the servers file and stop and restart remote exec.

My two cents...8^)

Almo

Almo - thanks for the tips especially editing the servers file in the network installation package. I should have mentioned that we are using a Sun Solaris 8 backup server which I think means that I cannot use your methods 2 and 3 above. We are using method 4 and if we need to do cross restores may be able to use the native terminal server inside Win2k. The nt4 servers will be migrated soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back