Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Direct recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

razvannw

Technical User
Jul 26, 2005
RO
Hello,

I have a client with 1770000 files, I have the problem with index browsing during recovery, it's take to long 1H to mark’ it all.
I read in NW docs that in this situation I must perform a save set recovery.
My questions are:
1. It is possible to perform save set direct recovery in NW 7.2.x (files back-up on HOST A to recover on HOST B )?
2. What is happening with directives, are use or not, because I want to exclude some extensions *.log,

Thank you.
razvannw

1. Sorry, but a NW 'directed recovery' always works with the file index.
However, you could map the destination's client location
(path) locally and direct the complete save set over there.
Of course you have to delete the not wanted files later.

2. Directives are used for backup processes only.
If you do not want to include files, you must do a save set
recovery and use the '-a files' variable (command line)
or specify the directories in the GUI (files).

I found this in NW documentation :
"Directives are special instructions that control how the NetWorker server processes files and directories during backup and recovery. "
You said to try to use filter in recovery prompt, this generate another problem, I notice that legato don't apply filters in subfolders.

Well, this is misleading and needs clarification. At least it made me thinking as well.

Directives have two purposes in general:
- file (de-)selection
- file/data handling

The second function must! always work. Let's assume you make a raw backup using the internal 'rawasm'. When recovering the data, NW of course must use the same ASM (ASM=Application Specific Module, which is used by such directive) as it would otherwise simply mis-interprete the data. Of course a raw backup should not recovered as a file, and vice-versa.

The file selection functionality works only at backup time. This is the time all NW RESOURCES are used - they are simply present to support automatic backups. However, as recoveries are manual processes, they will simply not used at this point in time.

On the other hand, there is also the possibility to create so-called 'local directives'. Such are directives which are stored locally at the client. They can easily be identified by their names - 'nsr.dir' for Windows and '.nsr' for UNIX/Linux clients.

You may now assume that you
- backup a whole directory
- place a local directive file in the directory which skips certain files and
- attempt to recover the whole directory.
The question is: Will the file(s) that shall be skipped for a backup now also be skipped during a recovery?

A short test with NW 7.2.1 showed that in fact ALL files will be recovered. So with respect to this behaviour, the statement in the book is simply incorrect.

I hope, this clarifies the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back