Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Direct Line Appearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

mediatr4

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2008
US
All of my trunk lines are assigned to pools -- and when I try to make a direct appearance of a line on my extension it takes the whole pool with it.. i.e. a pool with 10 lines and I want to see each 10 lines separately on my phone but when I try to assign one of those lines, it just assigns the whole pool to one button. I have WinSPM, can someone guide me in the right direction?
Thanks.

Only way this can be done is if the extension is an operator extension. All other extension only have access to the pool button but the operator has access to every individual line.

Is that the only difference between an operator and a non-operator extension? If so, then I should have no problem just adding it as an operator right? I need to be able to see at a glance what lines are in use.

One other question for you:

I need to block people from dialing 411 and XXX-555-XXXX

(I want to block directory assistance from all extensions). Can I do this with WinSPM?

I don't doubt its not simple to do but it's simple to say what I want. I want every line in the system to appear as a button on my phone. My system already has 2 operators. Are there any ramifications to adding one more?

List your equipment in order. Only certain ports on certain cards can be operators. Also if you use a "Night Service Button" on your system then you'll need one on your phone as well if you are an operator.

I want every line in the system to appear as a button on my phone"

That would mean that you want your phone to be an OPERATOR Position.

Thus, your your phone will need to be an OPERATOR POSITION capable port. Usually, the 1st or 5th port on any given MLX Module.

Of course, at this point, we know not what you are working on.

So, please enlighten us as 1043 suggested.

I'm having a problem with some of my lines and it is very difficult to troubleshoot because

1) The operator phones are both located on another floor, and require to be occupied at all times

2) The phone lines test fine at the demarc, but they do not function properly on the phone system

So, in order for me to troubleshoot these lines, I need to make calls to them, and from them, while observing the phone lines on a telephone which I have connected in the phone closet. Unfortunately, this is not possible because the only line appearance I am able to place on that phone is the entire pool of lines on one button.

I have a Merlin Legend with 2 cabinets. I have 2 408 MLX GS/LS cards and 7 408 GS/LS cards (for BIS-22 phones). The last slot is a merlin messaging card. As previously noted, I already have 2 operators configured. Both operator phones are MLX phones.

Thanks in advance for your advice and help.

Give each line a unique label, then the display will tell you which line you are using when you press the pool button, or 9 for ARS.

What TTT said plus you can test dialout by doing yhe following

1. Go to a system phone.
2. select system access (or intercom)
3. *05,system password,line #. EXAMPLE: *05password01
4. make call if possible.
5. do this for all lines in system.

***if you don't know the password then you can't/shouldn't try this.

I really need to be able to see all of the lines at a glance -- like the operator, from the wiring closet. Is this at all possible? For example, when I dial one of the #'s , I need to see the light flashing on the phone...

I need to be able to troubleshoot my hunt group and possibly some crossed lines as well.

With my equipment, can I have a 3rd operator phone? Can I use a BIS-22 phone for this? Are there any ramifications to adding another operator?

Thanks again.

You can have 4 operators with you current setup. 2 on each MLX card.The system would have to be idle to do it and you will have to renumber extensions to get yours to work. (assuming you are not in an operator port already).
My question and comments are as follows.

Why would you want to change the system programming to troubleshoot line issues. If they won't let you use one of the existing operators to troubleshoot then they must not think its a big problem.
How about after hours.or during breaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back